Search

Climbing Kilimanjaro

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 01:47 PM
Randy

Climbing Kilimanjaro

Greetings all. <BR> <BR>I will be climbing Kilimanjaro in two weeks and I was looking for any insights anyone can offer. How hard is it? Which are the hardest days? Any strategies for climbing? Anything I should bring I'm forgetting? Anything I am bringing I should leave at home? <BR> <BR>Also I think we will be using a tour operator called Predator Safaris. Has anyone heard of them or used them. <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Randy

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 09:33 PM
Michelle

Hi there Randy: I climbed Kilimanjaro about 4 years ago. The last day (summit) is a toughest but really whole thing depends on your reaction to altitude. Strategies: go slow as it give you more chance to acclimatize. Take snacks with you, hire a ski pole (your porter will arrange this), I think a flashlight is a good idea. You'll have a great time. E-mail me if I can answer any questions.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 06:28 AM
Adair

Hello Randy. I will see at the top! I too am climbing in about two weeks. I am going with an outfit called "Tropical Ice" have you heard of them? I have not heard o fyour outfitter but there are so many. I am a bit nervoud myself about this but I am looking very forward to the experience. <BR> <BR>From what I hear bring and drink more water than you are told. I am bringing two 32 ounce bottles (with insulator cases) and a liter platypus container to keep in my backback. <BR> <BR>Also, it is going to be VERY cold the last night and day so be prepared. Your water and batteries will likely freeze if not insulated in something. <BR> <BR>I will be happy to send you my gear list if you want it.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 07:50 AM
Randy

Adair, <BR> <BR>It would be great if you could send me your gear list. Thanks. <BR> <BR>Randy

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 12:20 PM
Melissa

I too would love to see your gear lists (if you're not already there!). <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Melissa