Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   From Sharm el Sheikh to Cairo (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/from-sharm-el-sheikh-to-cairo-388649/)

Sacha Jan 18th, 2004 03:08 AM

From Sharm el Sheikh to Cairo

Hey!
Does anyone have any experience with taking an independent trip to Cairo by road?
As we are 5 adults going, we find it too expensive to go with our traveling agentcy.We have to pay US$120 per person, so it must be cheeper to do it ourselves.
We are thinking of hireing a minibus ourselves or maybe take the touristbus.We want to arrive in Cairo by 7am so we have to go around 1 in the morning. Is is safe to drive at night?
I would really appreciate any information on this topic!
Thanks!

MyriamC Jan 18th, 2004 04:28 AM

I don't think it's a good idea to make the trip on your own in a rental car. In the Sinai there are so many checkpoints and the policemen don't speak any other language than their own. You surely won't be able to do the trip in 6 hours if you choose to do it this way.
Have you considered flying? It's only one hour and EgyptAir has several flights daily.

sandi Jan 18th, 2004 05:58 AM

Sacha - I would agree with Myriam, in not doing the drive on your own, especially at night. Besides the security stops, language problem, the roads are lousy, not well marked and it's a long drive.

The tourist bus might be an option, but you're not likely to find an a/c coach (though at nite the Sinai will be cool) and again it's a long ride, but you can check the schedule and fares.

Personally, I would fly (but not on Flash Air). Is your TA quoting $120 for an air transfer or land. If air, then contact Egypt Air directly and ascertain the fare and schedule. Though it might very likely be $120 o/w.

How and from where are you getting to Sharm in the first place?

Grcxx3 Jan 19th, 2004 05:15 AM

Please don't even consider driving at night in Egypt. It just isn't safe.

Most drivers do not use headlights. As a result, most of the serious (fatal) traffic accidents occur at night - especially along the desert roads. As mentioned above, there are numerous checkpoints along the road from Sharm to Cairo, the road is not that great, and there are very few places to stop and rest/get a drink/etc. On a good day, the drive takes about 6 hours.

In addition, driving in Cairo is a challenge all by itself - few traffic signals, minimal signage, a convoluted road layout in the downtown areas, and a driving "style" that boggles the mind.

I would recommend flying from Sharm and then arranging for a guide or driver to take you around Cairo. If your budget doesn't allow that, then you can try one of the busses.

Sacha Jan 19th, 2004 12:49 PM

Thanks everybody!

My and my family are flying with an agent travelency from Denmark.

My idea was to hire a minibus with an egyptian driver but now I have changed my mind. We cannot afford flying but I think we are going to take a normal bus.
Does anyone know when they are leaving Sharm el Sheikh?
I know the bus is going from Cairo to Sharm el Sheikh every hour untill 11.30 pm.
I would very much appreciate any information.
Thanks you all so much on the other subject!