Search

pacific delight tours

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pacific delight tours

has anyone taken the 12 day cape town, mala mala, victoria falls tour. can we easily get our visa at victoria falls? we are from u.s.a. please describe your experience on this vacation
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 01:29 PM

I have only been on a 15 night Pacific Delight Tour to Beijing/Shanghai/Hong Kong. While it was a lot of fun, one bit of advice...do not buy ANYTHING on the shopping excursions that they will undoubtedly subject you to during your tour. In China, at least, Pacific Delight, was kicked back 40% of the amount spent by their guests according to one shopkeeper.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Although I am not a fan of huge commissions to guides from shopkeepers, NOT to buy something you want (at a good price to you) because you don't want someone to make a commission, only hurts yourself.

If you see a trinket at a price you think is fair, then just buy it. Forget about who gets paid what. Better that then ending up at home and reminiscing about what could have been.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:35 PM

NoFlyZone,

I agree that we should not deprive ourselves, but often there was plenty of time to do shopping away from the tour guides.

I negotiated fiercely for a silk rug in Beijing and thought I got a great deal when I got the rug down to $1,200 from the original asking price of $3,000. However, the very next day, while my wife and I were walking around the city, we went in another store and saw the EXACT same rug for $850 BEFORE negotiating! So, you take out the $480 (40%) commission and my true price on the rug should have been $720 ($1,200 minus $480).

I probably spent a couple thousand dollars before I realized that I was paying such a hefty commission...slightly more than what a trinket would have cost me!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 06:27 PM
sandi

Yes, you can obtain a Visa upon arrival at Vic Falls. The fee is USD$30. (though it might have increased, but not more than $5 or $10)

Don't be surprised if Pacific Delight offers to obtain Visa for you prior departure claiming that getting it upon arrival will delay the rest of the group - so be it! Inquire of PD how many people will be on this tour and if only a few, don't worry about it - they'll just have to wait for you. PD will likely charge way more than the $30 for the service they'll get from a company that does just that - obtain Visas.

As to the itinerary - you don't indicate whether the 12-dys include travel to/fr Southern Africa. That said, I pressume you'll spend at minimum 4-nts CPT with time at Wine Country. Then maybe 4-nts Mala Mala, and 4-nts VFA. That's pretty standard, though 4-nts (and this is only assumption) is a bit much at VFA!

Unless there's something more or less, or you have specific questions re the itinerary, can't fully answer without more information.