Hotel info in South Africa

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 09:43 AM
Kathleen

Hotel info in South Africa

I need help finding good places to stay in South Africa. We are going on a 6 week honeymoon to Bali and South Africa in February. We are staying at Mala Mala and Rocktail Bay for the "safari" portion of our trip. Where should we stay in Cape Town? As we are staying at some expensive places (mala mala, aman resorts in bali), I wanted to stay at a cheap place in Cape Town -- thinking of the Holiday Inn Greenmarket -- has anyone stayed there? Also, where did everyone stay in the Winelands?

Thanks.

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 11:16 AM
mary

Feb is a busy time still in CT. I would rather stay on the Atlantic Seaboard than in the city center. It is not wise to be walking around that area after dark. I have never stayed in paid accommodation in CT as I have family there but try The Don - they are slow to respond to email. They have a website www.don.co.za There is more than 1 location in CT I would opt for the one in Sea Point. Where in the winelands? you can do a day trips to different parts of the wine region from CT. I don't know where you live but if you are thinking of renting a car I found it less expensive to rent and prepay through my travel agent in US and be sure to get insurance with no deductable

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 12:59 PM
USFlyer

Downtown Cape Town is fine-its really not that dangerous and at night you can always take cabs to restaurants at night. The Holiday Inn Greenmarket Square is in a great location-its right in the middle of town. Other choices if you want to stay outside CT would be the Holiday Inn Newlands in the Southern Suburbs-very safe and pretty or the President Hotel in Seapoint

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 07:07 PM
Sabrina

A second for the Holiday Inn Greenmarket Square. Ask for Rm. 217. It's a HUGE corner room, almost like a suite, and has a gorgeous view of Table Mountain.

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 11:45 AM
silvia rotheimer

Hi, we have been 5 times in SA. We love it very much. You can find best accommodation for good price in
www.portfoliocollection.com
In the winelands you should go to Stellenbosch, Paarl, Franschhoek.
Accomodation on a winefarm:
www.gracelandvineyards.com
If you need any further help, please write me.
Regards from Vienna/Austria
Silvia

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 01:36 PM
Patrick

We just come back from a trip in western cape area.For our visit in Winelands we stayed at Erinvale golf hotel in Somerset West about 15 min from Stellenbosh and price is about600 rd/pers.We suggest otherwise to stay at LANZERAC manor near Stellenbosh,a little more expansive but right in the middle of a wonderful wine property .But if you play also golf don't hesitate it's Erinvale.In CapeTOWN area itself you will have plenty of good and first choice at half price of malamala or aman resorts

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 02:42 AM
james wyatt

H-Inn Greenmarket is pretty ordinary (2*) but right in the middle of town. Definitely spend 3nights in the winelands. Le Quatier Francais in Franschhoek is superb, or try The Grand Roche in Paarl - I've always come away wishing we had longer. It's restaurant Bosmans is probably the best in South Africa.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 03:45 AM
Hal

I can't offer specifics about Capetown, but on a recent visit to Pretoria, I stayed at a "guesthouse" rather than a hotel. Fantastic experience! Superb food, family run, glorious grounds, secure, only 7 rooms (actually mine was a 2-level apartment) and all at about half the rate of even a modest hotel. The SA tourist bureau may have a guide to guest houses at your destination. Only down side, public transportation may be more difficult.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 03:38 AM
Riche

Hi Kathleen
Cape Town is my home city and I am also a tour/safari operator in South Africa.
Please visit our website
www.tourism.to
and then write if you need more information.
I have stayed at the HI Greenmarket Sq. It is an excellent 3* hotel with good facilities. It is in the centre of the city with easy access to nice restaurants, shopping, etc. GM Sq turns into a colourful market on most days.

There are some very nice small boutique hotels in the Winelands and also many excellent B&B's. This areais also easily reached from Cape Town ($0 minutes by car along good roads) so exploring for a day trip is easy. I can recommend some great wineries as well.
Please write to me direct for information and I can book accom and tours for you
Best wishes
Riche du Plessis