From Cairo to Petro

Feb 2nd, 2000, 03:29 PM
Oleg

From Cairo to Petro

Hi. I'll be in Cairo for a few days and then I intend to go Petra for a day. I'm wondering if I should reserve a hotel in Petro before I get there. Should I reserve it from the U.S. or Cairo, or it does not matter? Also, should I take a bus from Cairo to Petra or I can fly? I do prefer flying.
How much it could be a flight ticket from Cairo to Petra? Thank you.

Feb 4th, 2000, 09:49 AM
Lee

If you tried to take a bus from Cairo to Petra you would not have time to see Petra. I suggest you look at a good guide book or atlas re the distances/locales. It's a 13 hr. bus ride just to get to Israel and then you still have to cross Israel to Jordan. I suggest you fly from Cairo to Amman (book in the US) and then bus or car with driver to Petra (about 3 1/2 hrs). As for hotels they come in all price ranges - really depends on your age, stamina and financial situation. We love the Movenpick Resort which is Swiss owned and right at the entrance to Petra which saves time and provides lots of comfort - but it is pricey. Course if this is a once in a lifetime trip, I think it's worth it for the comfort and convenience. Also to do Petra justice you really should try to spend at least 2 full days. Take your hiking boots and see it all.
The town has lots of hotels with an assortment of prices and qualities. Go into a hotel website and look at what's offered in Petra. The Lonely Planet Jordan/Syria guide book gives you 3 price ranges with lots of choice & has bus info as well. I find it always less hassle to book from home - unless you speak the local language and don't mind carrying baggage around until you find a good place. At least those places on the net let you see the rooms, etc. before you book. Good luck

Feb 15th, 2000, 04:24 PM
Lee

Lee, I saw your message about hotels in Petra and wonder if you are familiar with the Hotel Petra Panorama. Our tour operator just notified us they had switched us to this one from the Grand View Hotel (which has a 5* rating) and I can't find info on the Panorama.

We're doing it all wrong, I can tell. We only have one night in Petra, and it doesn't sound like enough time to really see it.

Rosemary

Search this Thread