From Arusha, 2 nights Amboselli, then Nairobi?

Jul 21st, 2012, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

From Arusha, 2 nights Amboselli, then Nairobi?

I'm now playing with various itineraries, tour operators, etc. for a N. Tanzania + Rwanda trip, either Feb or sometime in July - Oct (flying in and out of NBO).... Without bothering you all with the details of other parts of the plan, I would like to figure out how we might make this segment:

Transfer from Arusha to Amboselli (Tortilis Camp) for 2 nights. Following this we'd need to get to Nairobi (to the city (Nairobi Intercontinental Hotel - not the airport yet). Are there reliable ground-transfer services for such a route? Are their short flights possible?
Jul 21st, 2012, 10:17 AM

Your Tanzania tour operator can arrange on arrival at Arusha on conclusion of safari, a road transfer* (1.5/hrs) to the Namanaga border with Kenya, border procedures/Visa (can be 15/min or 1/hr); change guide/vehicle for drive (minimum 1.5/hrs.) to Tortilis. Unless you wish the Kenyan guide/vehicle for your game drives, you'd be booked at Tortilis on a GP-game package basis using their guides/vehicles. **

* there is no flight from Arusha or JRO to Amboseli; you'd have to fly to Wilson/WIL (domestic airport) in NBO and unless early enough to make the 2-2:30pm flight (45/min) to AMB, have to wait till next morning 8:15 to fly.

** tour operator can arrange for Tortilis to handle this transfer from Namanga to the camp... current price about $300/vehicle... ask so you can compare prices.

Depending on when departing Arusha if from 12N onward, and if by road... you might not arrive Amboseli/Tortilis till late afternoon for game drive then dinner and overnight; full day here next. On conclusion, 3rd morning... transferred to Amboseli airstrip for 9am flight to Wilson/WIL from where a transfer to your hotel.

In other words... it's doable.
Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

I think the lightbulb just went off! Sometimes the direct route just makes no sense. The international line between Arusha and Amboselli really matters when transferring by ground or flying to a non-international airport that has no facilities for checking VISAs, etc. How dumb of me to forget that fact. I remember my dear friend's first trip to East Africa about 30 years ago. At that time she said one couldn't transfer between Kenya and Tanzania at all. She had to fly from Kenya to the Seychelles and spend a few days (poor thing!) before flying in to Tanzania.

I'm now realizing that if we want to tack Amboselli onto our plan, it would probably be easiest to do a round trip 3 day sojourn from Nairobi. I just want to see that iconic view of Mt. Kili, with elephants in the foreground and I'm intrigued by the possiblity of making a visit from there to the Cynthia Moss Elephant Research Center.
Jul 23rd, 2012, 09:53 AM

You can still do the Amboseli visit by road from Arusha (without having to fly to Nairobi for a morning flight the next day, to Amboseli), but if time allows, instead of 2/nts as shown... give yourself an extra day, then return to Nairobi. Unless, of course, if you choose to visit Amboseli on the front end of safari while still in NBO and before heading into Tanzania. There are so many options for routing.

If interested in visit to the Cynthia Moss Elephant Research Center, be prepared to cough up $500. No, 'we were just in the neighborhood...... '

Search this Thread