Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Fresh fruits & vegetables in Kenya/Tanzania in August??

Jun 17th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

We will be doing a 4-week self-drive through Kenya (Mara) and Tanzania (northern circuit) in August. We are to provide a (grocery) shopping list to the company from which we are hiring our 4x4. They will do our shopping for us before we arrive. It is difficult to provide a list when we are not certain what fruits and vegetables are available at that time of year. Can anyone tell me what's available at that time of year? Thanks! Robin
Jun 17th, 2009, 12:36 PM

For sure, pineapple, mango, banana, melons (water, honeydew, canteloup), oranges, lemons (though they're green in EA). Tomatoes are the best, also fancy frisea (sp) lettuce, mushrooms..................

Why not tell us what you like so we can then advise what else can meet your wishes.
Jun 17th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

You have listed some that I would order - pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, mangoes, oranges - what about grapes, grapefruit, passion fruit (such a treat in South Africa - very expensive here!), papaya, gooseberries (we ate those by the case in SA)? Any other local exotics we should try?

For veggies - all the salad/coleslaw stuff - lettece, celery, carrots, red and green peppers, cucumber, cabbage - and then onions, sweet potatoes, butternut.

Are they likely to have boneless chicken breasts - it is difficult to debone chicken at a campsite - ground beef, lamb - what are the most common meats?
Robin
Jun 18th, 2009, 07:03 AM

Since you have an idea of what you'd like, now write to your ground operator and provide a list. Let them advise what is/isn't available or out-of-season.

Papaya I've had; no gooseberries, but they may have some others. Onions and potatoes, yes. I'm a chicken person and often had boned breasts, but I believe boneless can be done. I've had burgers... so chopped meat of some sort is available. And, have had lamb kabobs.

I never have (and still loose weight) and I'm sure you won't go hungry. But best to have your peeps in-country advise. And, don't forget something for dessert other than fruit. The cooks that go out with private safaris and definitely those at permanent camps, do amazing things in the midst of nowhere.
Jun 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM

Couldn't you just send them a list now and they could tell you yes or no on the items. Plus won't you also have to replenish at some time during the 4 weeks? I wouldn't think you could have enough fresh food for that long.
Jun 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

We replenish after Mara and the Serengeti - in Arusha before we head into Lake Manyara and Tarangire. We will be sending a list - I was just looking for an idea of what is available. Thanks! Robin
Jun 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM
aby

hi Robin

you should sure get almost all of your list
i don't know about gooseberries
Grapes are quite rare in east africa, but they should get them for you in Nairobi and Arusha since those places serve a lot of wazungu...
You'll get passion-fruit, just note which you need the dark ones (more juicy and somewhat sour) or the yellowish ones which are less juicy - i love both
Papayas you'll get plenty

i love also Anona ("custard-apple") which i regularly get in Karatina, but can also be obtained in NBI and ARS

aby
Jun 19th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Aby! Most helpful! Robin