today's news from zimbabwe

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
today's news from zimbabwe

just saw the news from zimbabwe on the govt. "cleaning" of so many peoples homes and villages. how will that affect our upcoming trip to vic falls? it sounds callous, i do feel for the people but don't want to die there.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 06:31 PM

I too am concerned. A few weeks ago, I talked to our agent at Univ. Travel, and he indicated that the trouble was up in the northern areas of Zimbabwe, whereas we will be in the southwestern close to Botswana. I certainly hope that if there is unrest, we will be notified and perhaps moved to Zambia or some other place.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 09:00 PM

I have heard from friends in South Africa who still visit that the Vic Falls area has remained largely unaffected by Mugabe's lunacy. There was also a report today of rumors in the SA press that Mugabe died this past week. Unfortunately it was a rumor and was not the case-the sooner he goes the better for Zimbabwe which used to be a phenominal country.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 10:09 PM

We just returned from a trip to Namibia, during which we took a day trip to the Zimbabwe side of Vic Falls (on 31 May). Didn't notice any unrest or trouble there - but the town was very quiet and the grand hotels almost empty. Very few tourists at the falls themselves. It was interesting (and the falls are beautiful) but it was also very sad.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 05:50 AM

Zimbabwe is in very bad shape. The government has asked cab drivers to tell visitors that everything is ok. The tourist areas (including Victoria Falls) are the most reliable sources of foriegn currency the country has left. They are being protected by those who know on which side the bread is buttered.

Zimbabwe is being systematically looted by those in power (Civil Service, Army, Cabinet members, etc.). I fear there will be a dramatic collapse once Mugabe dies. He's 81 and not in the best of health. He issued a statement yesterday saying he was not dead yet.

I would not want to be in Zimbabwe when he does "go over the falls".
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 06:23 AM

NPR had a report on Zimbabwe this morning (Friday, June 10) that, I believe, you can hear by going to www.npr.org. ZZ
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 08:56 AM

Thanks very much for the info. I was able to go to the website and listen to it. Just click on "news" on the left side of the acreen and then find the article listed. Interesting..... Sounds like the problems are mostly in the cities (especially Hurare) and won't affect Vic Falls. Guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks.