Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Franschoek/Tulbagh/Stellenbosch: Things to do besides winetasting?

Franschoek/Tulbagh/Stellenbosch: Things to do besides winetasting?

Sep 14th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Franschoek/Tulbagh/Stellenbosch: Things to do besides winetasting?

Don't get me wrong! we plan to do PLENTY of wine tasting too, and I've read tons of useful info on these boards about recommended vineyards.

We'll be staying at La Petite Ferme for a few nights as well as one night in Tulbagh next month, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me recommendations for other sights/activities in the wine region. Has anyone done a balloon ride there? thanks, Julie
Sep 14th, 2005, 04:12 PM

Hello Julie,

If you'd like a bit of wildlife with your wine, you can visit Spier (in Stellenbosch) and pat the cheetahs. Stellenbosch also has a number of historic buildings and sites from the early days of the Cape Colony.

I believe you can also combine cycling or horseback riding with your winetasting.

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 14th, 2005, 11:47 PM

Le Petite Femme is on the road that leads up to the top of the Franschoek Pass. At the top of the pass (which should take about 5 to 10 minutes to reach)there is a parking area on the left hand side of the road. Park there and walk along the path to the left of the parking lot. It is the start of a superb walking trail.The first 5 minutes involve a bit of an upward slog but after that it is reasonably level and eventually leads to a superb view of, amongst other things, the Wemmershoek Dam.
Sep 15th, 2005, 08:50 AM

What a great tip -- that area is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen in my life. REALLY!

Search this Thread