Search

Safari recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safari recommendations?

I will be in Uganda for work at the end of October and I would like to extend my trip and go on a safari. My main interest would be to see lions up close. I would absolutly love to see other animals as well but the lions remain my first choice.
I've done some internet searches but all safaris seem fairly similar. I would like to get a recommendation of a company from someone who has actually experienced it.
Thanks for your help,
Jennifer
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 10:25 AM
sandi

Jennifer -

The only place you can be guaranteed to see lions is at the zoo!

Going on safari cannot guarantee what animals you will or won't see... not unlike guaranteeing the weather. However, it's rare to go on safari that one won't see lions.

It would be nice to know how many days you have, your budget, whether you want to stay at lodges or tented camps. Also, from Uganda, into which airport will you be flying? Probably, Nairobi, Kenya.

Ideally, for the end of October, the Northeastern Serengeti in Tanzania is good as the wildebeest, zebra and Thomson gazelles will be returning from the Masai Mara in Kenya. And where herds are, so are predators.

If you can more easily get to Kenya then to Tanzania, then the Masai Mara in Kenya is good. I find that it's always good.

You'll also find that many regular posters choose to go with in-country outfitters in Kenya or Tanzania for competitive pricing. So, why not post what you've seen in your searching - length of time, accommodations and costs - also the tour operator/outfitter - I'm sure we'll be able to comment and guide you.

Old Jul 16th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply Sandi. I realise I probably didn't express myself properly in my first post. I realise i can never find a safari which will garantee I will see certain animals. However I think certain regions seem to be known for different animals being more present. What I was looking for was a recommendation of someone who had traveled on a safari who saw lions.
At the moment I have no flight details planned so I am working with a blank canvas.
I would like to spend maybe 5 to 7 days on a safari. And of course I would like to find one that is good value.
I don't have any preconceived ideas as to tent or chalet. I think that will come with the budget.
I've already been on two vacations to Europe this year so my budget isn't prepared for this additonal trip to Africa. I figure I have a couple of months and I will try to save as much as possible to make this possible as I can't imagine letting an opportunity like this sail by.
Jennifer

guaranteed to see lions is at the zoo!

Going on safari cannot guarantee what animals you will or won't see... not unlike guaranteeing the weather. However, it's rare to go on safari that one won't see lions.

It would be nice to know how many days you have, your budget, whether you want to stay at lodges or tented camps. Also, from Uganda, into which airport will you be flying? Probably, Nairobi, Kenya.

Ideally, for the end of October, the Northeastern Serengeti in Tanzania is good as the wildebeest, zebra and Thomson gazelles will be returning from the Masai Mara in Kenya. And where herds are, so are predators.

If you can more easily get to Kenya then to Tanzania, then the Masai Mara in Kenya is good. I find that it's always good.

You'll also find that many regular posters choose to go with in-country outfitters in Kenya or Tanzania for competitive pricing. So, why not post what you've seen in your searching - length of time, accommodations and costs - also the tour operator/outfitter - I'm sure we'll be able to comment and guide you.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 07:47 PM

We used Safari Seekers in Nairobi. There were 7 of us in a good Mitsubishi pop top van. The camps were pretty basic however they were clean with private facilities, and in a month like December (which is not supposed to be a good time to see lions) we saw several. We had 3 full days camping in the Mara and saw lions each day. The local guide & driver knew their stuff and also all the local operators radioed each other and let each other know where the animals were. We had a ball and it was very cheap compared to booking via an agent in Australia. Good luck.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 07:58 PM

If you want to remain in Uganda, lions are fairly common in Queen Elizabeth National Park (we saw several), but I don't think you could spend 5 to 7 days in that park. With that time, it may be worth flying to Nairobi and arranging safari to Masai Mara.

If work is paying for your flight, you could just as simply return from Nairobi to your home, in fact it may be cheaper.