Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   For those who have stayed at Giraffe Manor? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/for-those-who-have-stayed-at-giraffe-manor-288348/)

sromom Jan 20th, 2008 08:32 AM

For those who have stayed at Giraffe Manor?

If you have stayed at the Manor could you please describe the accomodations and were you pleased? We are considering this for one evening and have heard some mixed reviews. If anyone could compare the accomodation level to House of Waine or Ngong that would be great.

Thanks to everyone.

Dana_M Jan 20th, 2008 08:45 AM

Hi sromom,
I stayed at Giraffe Manor several years ago. I haven't been to House of Waine or Ngong so can't make a comparison.

I really enjoyed my overnight stay at Giraffe Manor. Rick and Bryony (sp?) are wonderful hosts. The grounds are lovely, food was great, and service was excellent. The accomodations are lovely, like a small B&B. When I was there most rooms were en-suite but some were not, so if that is important to you make sure you ask which room you're booked into.

The Giraffe Center (not sure that is what it is called, actually) was a little too commercial/zoo like for me. However, there is an area on the grounds where as a guest you can go for nature walks; I did that and didn't see another single person during those walks.

For me it was a good choice for an overnight stay in between the Kenya/Tanzania portions of my safari.

Marija Jan 20th, 2008 10:31 AM

We enjoyed Giraffe Manor as well. The accomodations were fine but the really great part was eating breakfast with giraffes sticking their heads through the windows.

MrAloha Jan 20th, 2008 04:42 PM

Hi, we just stayed there in mid December, for two nights and had a geat time. Good place to hang and get over jet lag. The managers are a couple, David and Nadine, and were terrific. There are just 5-6 rooms; upstairs with great views. The public rooms are great. The food excellent.

Enjoy.

philw Jan 21st, 2008 03:12 AM

I have stayed there and was a little disappointed in that the rooms did not appear to have been decorated for a long time and the food (dinner in particular) a bit disappointing. They rely very much on the "Out of Africa" experience but, in my view, need to raise their game. It is probably best visited at the start of a safari rather than the end - particularly if you are staying at high end lodges on safari.

sandi Jan 21st, 2008 04:56 AM

I have stayed at HOW and Ngong, and visited Giraffe Manor last year. I couldn't stay as they were actually closed for renovations, which their current website reflects; also each room/suite now has their own ensuite bathrooms.

All three properties are different, all are lovely.

Ngong offers large tree-houses, with sitting, sleeping and ensuite bathrooms; hairdryers available. The grounds are lovely, with a pool; their chef is absolutely outstandinng, the best meal ever anywhere. Charming hosts.

House of Waine offers a more "private home of your own" type environment in a house that was built in the 70s, fell into disrepair and then redesigned (actually mostly adding bathrooms) in the early 2000s. With only 11/rooms/suites, all very large, beautiful ensuite bathrooms, lovely grounds and pool, various dining spaces on the property whether indoors or out. Internet services, phone, TV, hairdryers. Also, charming managers.

Giraffe Manor, also small with 6/roomms/suites, on lovely grounds with the nearby Giraffe Center. The bonus here, when the "tall blondes" join you for breakfast at the secnd-floor windows. Lovely hosts.

GM & Ngong are the more expensive of the three.

Though HOW is my favorite, the others aren't shabby, making for a difficult choice.

Khakif Jan 21st, 2008 04:59 AM

If getting up close to giraffe and wart hog is on your top 10 list, then the Manor is great. Common rooms are lovely; living accomodations are small, clean and as they always have been.

Ngong house (tree houses) are great, good food, well run.

No information on Waine House.

philw Jan 21st, 2008 05:45 AM

To be fair, I probably should have added that if the giraffes and warthogs are a major factor then GM will be great fun. That's why I suggest you start a safari with GM as its a great intro to the wildlife. If, as Sandi says, the rooms have been renovated and have en suite, that changes my view on the accomodation.