For those of you planning a honeymoon safari...

Feb 20th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

For those of you planning a honeymoon safari...

http://www.bigfive.com/honeymoon/index.cfm

Forget about a wedding registry at Macy's or anywhere else. This is a wedding registry for an African Safari!

Besides the safari, this company offers travel to Asia, South America, Central America, the Middle East and the Polar Regions. That is not to say, however, that there safari program does not look anything but top notch, as it is this company that uses the guide that I had at Chichele Presidential Lodge, Nic Polenakis, who has left Chichele to go back to private guiding. So far, he has been my favorite guide at any lodge I have yet visited, and if I ever went the private guiding route, I would definitely consider him as well as Gavin Blair and Mike Penman.

www.wildlifestyles.com
www.gavinblairsafaris.com

Anyway, I wish I would have found something like this prior to my wedding six years ago, although my wife and I did have a very nice honeymoon to Istanbul, the Greek Isles and Rome.
Feb 20th, 2005, 04:21 AM

Times have changed!

Convenience has its price though!

I have not looked at all the itineraries offered but the Tanzania ones are rather expensive. Roughly $385 per person per day sharing using mostly Sopa lodges.

Not the most romantic!

It may be better to design one's own safari and set up a registry at one of several independent sites.
Feb 20th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I would be wary of any company that has been recognized as one of the top travel agencies in the world by Conde Nast Traveler. Such a designation would seem to put them in the same category as an A&K or a Micato.

Nice companies to "borrow" ideas from but with their recognition by Conde Nast Traveler, probably not the companies where you will find tremendous bargains.

Feb 20th, 2005, 05:09 AM
sandi

Certainly no bargains there. Besides there is nothing unusual about these scheduled itineraries, with standard accommodatons and groups. Don't believe one wants a group on their honeymoon. Any tour operator could put these together and private.

Search this Thread