Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

For the interested. My intin. for this SEPT.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I would share my next adventure with whom ever is interested.
Thanks, David

Safari itinerary for

David W.

September 9th ? 29th, 2004

Thursday 9th September - Arrive into Dar es Salaam on KLM 571 at 22.15. Clear immigration and customs and then met by Fox safaris and transfer to the Holiday Inn for overnight.

Friday 10th September ? Breakfast at the hotel and then transfer to the train station for the safari train at 10.00am. Take the Safari Express Train to Mikumi, arriving at 17.00 and then transfer to the Foxes Safari Camp for dinner and overnight.

Saturday 11th September ? Game driving an game walking as you choose at Mikumi with your meals and overnight at the Foxes Safari Camp.

Sunday 12th September - Mikumi at the safari camp.

Monday 13th September - Fly to Ruaha and overnight at the Ruaha River Lodge.

Tuesday 14th ? Sunday 19th September - Exploring Ruaha and overnights at the River Lodge.

Monday 20th September - Fly to Arusha from the Ruaha at 11.30. Kip and the vehicle will collect you from the Arusha Airport when you arrive at approximately 12.30. Head straight back out of Tanzania and go across the border to Amboseli for camping overnight.

Tuesday 21st September ? Drive across to Tsavo East and set up camp near Voi. Game drive as you choose in the afternoon and then dinner and overnight at the campsite.

Wednesday 22nd September ? Head to the rangers station and collect your rangers for the trip to the Tiva River. Game drive enroute to the Tiva River and set up camp in this area. Dinner and overnight at the campsite.

Thursday 23rd September ? A full day exploring the Tiva area of Tsavo with your rangers on foot and by vehicle. Overnight at the campsite.

Friday 24th September ? A second full day in this remote and secluded area of the park. Overnight at the campsite.

Saturday 25th September ? Head back into the main area of Tsavo and drop the rangers back at Voi. Set up camp near Voi once more and visit your adopted elephant before dinner and overnight.

Sunday 26th September ? Head over to the Sala Gate entrance and then work your way back up the Galana river to Luggard Falls and then back across to Voi and the camp. Dinner and overnight at the campsite. Take a picnic lunch and make a day of this circuit. It is my favourite circuit in Tsavo.

Monday 27th September ? Game drive as you choose ? perhaps visit your elephant again or the rangers. Overnight at the camp .

Tuesday 28th September ? Head back to Nairobi, taking your time on this main road. Arrive into Nairobi and then stay overnight with Asad in Nairobi. We?ll all go out for dinner together! Overnight at Asad?s house.

Wednesday 29th September ? Spend the day in Nairobi at the house or exploring, then transfer to the airport in the evening for KLM 566 departing at 22.15.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 02:29 PM

Sounds great, can't wait to hear all about it!
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:25 PM

I will be really interested in what you think of Mikumi. That park has intrigued me for a while. Was going to try and get there in October, but I will be in the north before heading over to Kenya. Can't wait to hear about the trip and thanks for sharing the itinerary.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 09:27 PM
ila

Dave-
Many thanks. I want to hear all about Ruaha and wild dogs and leopards especially.
Please when you are going on the train, take photos and note the scenery from the train. Don't you go through Selous? Please note the possibility to getting off there and doing the Sand River Camp. Just notes, notes, notes. I thank you Dave and have a wonderful time. It sounds like a lot of effort went together very nicely. ila

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Ila, please explain about the getting off at Selous. I have no intentions of starting anywhere but MIKUMI.Thats how my plans are. PICS? OH YES!! I will be taking 110 rolls with me for my PENTAX.Plus some BACK n WHITE.
Notes? Now NOTES,thats another thing.
I'll try. But I tried once before didn't last,lol.
Yes my tour op worked really hard gettig me discounts and working with the KWS for me. I'm sure there will be a glitch some where along the way. There always is ha-ha.
I love TSAVO. Along with T-WEST & T-EAST I have spent already 10nts there in two trips. In SO. TANZ, my interest is in RUAHA. Plenty of time to explore and walk around. Better chances of WILDLIFE coming up at your door step! Thats what I really like.
I take pics of EVERYTHING! From ANTS to ZEBRAS. What ever is there, I'll get it. OK, thanks get back later.
David
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Hello again, for photos. I have here the link to my pages. Most of what I have go in here, along with stories ect. Even the next trips photos will be going here. So, if you would like to see some. Try it, let me know if you can get through my pages or not.
Thanks again, David
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/1e53c/
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Ila, here are my notes. But you kinda need the pics to go with it. Just to give you an idea of comes out of my head. This is all after my trips.
Cheers, David

Send Picture as a PostCard.

IT'S OWN COLOR!!

I always had a thing for TSAVO! Maybe the MAN-EATING LIONS!! The rail road called: THE LUNATIC-LINE! But it's the elephants!! Up until about 20 or 25 years ago there were around 40,000 elephants in TSAVO!!
Drought and mostly POACHING
killed almost all of them. Along with the RHINOS!! After reading the book
THE END OF THE GAME, by:
PETER BEARD. I knew TSAVO was
special to me. Because of the wild
and the elephants! There may be only around 8000 between TSAVO
EAST and WEST. As I will talk about later there is another dark reason
for my love for TASVO-EAST!
There are many other game here.
The place is so wild! No fences, no
baby-sitters!! It's hard to find the CATS here. They are here! But when you find it, you will have it all to yourself!! Hardly anyone around.
The elephants, geranuks, giraffes
and the dirt are all RED!!
The pic in the bottom right. Only tree stumps left. The elephants wrecked
the place back in the 70's & 80,s
trying not to starve to death! They
really were kept from leaving the area. They were also afraid. Thats
the result.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 06:51 AM
ila

Dave-
I read on the Foxes website that the train stops first in Selous before continuing on to Mikumi. I didn't mean for you to get off. I imagine they will announce the ability to reach certain lodges by road from the train station, and thought they would cover Sand River Camps proximity to the station. Since Sand River is off to itself in another part of the park, I didn't know if that was even a possibility. Thats all. I just wanted notes on the animals there in Ruaha. I imagine your pictures will tell the story though. I'm not asking you to do anything out of the ordinary, just pass along the info on the train stop in Selous. I may have misunderstood the itinerary for the train. If so, disregard.
I'm not as interested in Tsavo right now. Just the Southern Circuit of Tanz. I know its lovely, I'm just trying to figure out logistics of a safari in the future. ila

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi there, i just got mail from jane fox. I had no idea it went through there. (selous) So this is good. As she says you can get pics of the wildlife from the train. So thats cool! Hope I get lucky.
Oh ok, at first thought I thought you were thinking I was stopping off there. Thats the trouble with text & e-mail. You can never be sure what the other person means. No harm, no biggie.
You just made me remember. I do have a small note book that I take. Twice a day or at the least in the eve. We would go over the animals I have seen for the day. Then chart them down.
So this may work. But I mostly go by my pics.
ok, catch ya later.
David
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:13 PM

I've enjoyed your VT pages before! Hi! This sounds like it will be another astounding trip. We'll look forward to seeing your pics and hearing all about it when you get back. Best to you -- Radiomom
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi Radiomom, thanks! Stop by any time. There will be more. Just over 8wks to go now.
Cheers, David
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

the questions to Jane Fox:

Hi Jane or Bruce hope your well over the other side of the pond. Anyway, Melinda sent me my itin. and plans. Everything is set. I can not wait for this trip. Jane, Melinda mentioned walking or driving in MIKUMI. Is walking an option there as well as RUAHA? If so, how does that work?
I am taking the train. Seems to be a long ride. What is there in between DAR ES & MIKUMI? Does it stop along the way, anything worth taking pics of?
One more thing, I will have my hiking boots and flip-flops for the shower. I am thinking of leaving my casual shoes here. Buy sandals over there. Now, is there an easy place from DAR ES to MIKUMI where I can purchase a pair? Maybe right at MIKUMI?
Thanks,
DAVID
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

The rely from JANE FOX: For more info being put out there.
thanks, david

Dear David,
They don't seem to do much walking in Mikumi, itself, I think due to the laziness of the park guides more than anything else!
The train trip (which I am going on tomorrow) goes through the Selous Game Reserve, so you can see game from the train. I have photos of buff, giraffe, wildebeest, zebra taken from the train. Apparantly they also saw wild dog the other day, although not in time to take a photo. Pity as this would have made a great brochure shot! If you get one, please let me have a copy.

To be honest I am not at all sure that you will be able to get sandals easily as you won't have much time in Dar and the camps in Mikumi are not near to the town. We will certainly help to find you some, but it may be a risk.

Best regards,
Jane