for "so upset"

Oct 11th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

for "so upset"

so upset,
just wondering how you made out with your University Travel trip since they went bankrupt, hope they had booked your places before going belly-up and you are still going to Africa
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:30 AM

Hi There,
First I want to apologize for not following up sooner - didn't mean to keep you on the edge of your seat.

I contacted all of the operators listed on University Travel's website and all the lodges that we should have stayed at. Unfortunately none had any bookings for us or University Travel. In addition, it appears that my travel insurance does not include cancellation coverage for travel agents that go out of business (it does provide coverage for any travel suppliers that go out of business) so I will not be able to make an insurance claim with the insurer. I have filed compliants with the Attorney General and Better Business Bureau. I hope that they will be able to help me out.

The only thing that I received from University Travel was my plane tickets. Given the amount of time and money I invested for my trip to Southern Africa (reading, research, vaccinations, etc.) I decided to go ahead a book with another operator and venture to Africa.

I worked with Pacific Delight Tours to customize an itinerary. I used PDT a couple of years ago for a trip to China and was happy with their service. They were able to customize an itinerary that was similar to the one provided by University Travel. I am happy to say that I had an amazing time and was able to turn a sour experience into a fantastic one. I should probably change my screen name

Hopefully I will get around to providing a trip summary on this site, once I recover from jet lag and get caught up with the piles of work left for me at the office!
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Glad to hear you went ahead with your trip and had an amazing time.

I don't know if the state you reside in has any sort of travel restitution program. We have one in California though I think only in state and publicly traded companies elsewhere are required to participate.

Interesting that the insurer considers them an agent and not supplier. I wonder how they make that differentiation and if all overseas companies would technically be considered agents and not suppliers.

Search this Thread