Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   For R Snyder (Dick) (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/for-r-snyder-dick-513047/)

jules39 Mar 16th, 2005 10:31 AM

For R Snyder (Dick)

Hi Dick

I have noticed you are heading to Southern Tanzania. I have done a search for your itinerary but have not been able to find it. I was wondering if you could post it here please?

We have only been home from Northern Tanz a month and are contemplating our next trip. As well as S Tanz, Botswana Namibia hold an interest and to totally look in another direction Buhtan!!

Thanks for the info

J

Patty Mar 16th, 2005 10:44 AM

jules39,
I just topped a thread for you which contains Dick's itinerary. Look for it toward the bottom of the thread.

Patty Mar 16th, 2005 10:45 AM

The thread is entitled 'Thanks Patty' so not the obvious place to look ;)

jules39 Mar 16th, 2005 11:58 AM

Thanks Patty!!! I appreciate it.

J

rsnyder Mar 17th, 2005 09:34 AM

Yes, thanks Patty for helping Jules! Now down to roughly 3 months before we head to East Africa again. This week am giving a Powerpoint presentation on our trips to East Africa to a mens group at a friends camp so I will be reliving the experience. Just like reading posts on Fodors as I reviewed pictures I could almost hear the wildebeast from our balcony at the Serengeti Sopa and smell the dampness in the Yellow acacia forest in the Crater!
Thanks to all for the tips, suggestions, posts and pictures. Dick

jules39 Mar 25th, 2005 06:04 AM

Dick I just love those yellow acacia's as were coming through there in the late afternoon in the Ngorongoro we just sat and looked through the trees for a while. So beautiful.

Your trip to S Tanz sounds great. Wonderful retirement gift for you & your wife and what a lucky daughter you have. Will be looking forward to hearing all about it!

J

rsnyder Mar 25th, 2005 01:01 PM

Jules, by all means I plan on a report with pictures once we are back.
Dick

jules39 Mar 28th, 2005 02:09 PM

Dick
I noticed in the post were you had a brief itinerary that you got quotes from other operators besides Foxes. Can I ask which operators they were?

Thanks J

rsnyder Mar 29th, 2005 04:23 AM

Message: Good morning Jules. I got a quote from 2Afrika (using Predators Safari Club), Takims Holidays Tours & Safaris Ltd, and checked out packages of other companies as advertised on the Internet. I perhaps misuse the term "quote" as I did not list a specific agenda for each contact. Rather I worked with same plan or rather used the standard package. Not having the savy that some on this board do when it comes to researching a trip I opted to take same package and compare prices. It would seem the 2Afrika/Predators approach was thru local company in southern Tanzania. Even on same itinerary there were major differences in prices and services provided. One although less expensive did not include first nite lodging in Dar es Salaam nor transfers to/for airport. One used flights between parks. Not being pessimistic but thinking this may be last time to take daughter on trip (before college years), we opted for Foxes (the Express Train and incountry flights) based on very positive feedback from this board. I then checked with Jane as was pleasantly surprised with flexibility in arranging a safari. The brochure and web site info were also quite helpful. Hope the comments are helpful. Dick

Patty Mar 29th, 2005 09:02 AM

Hi Dick,
I see that Foxes has a schedule posted on their website for the Safari Express train. In your correspondence with Jane, did she give you any indication as to whether the train actually ran according to the posted schedule?

The reason that I ask is because I've been in touch with the people who run Sable Mountain lodge (it's the closest lodge to Kisaki where passengers disembark for Selous) and they've discouraged me from trying to take this train. Their exact words were "The private train is a good concept but cannot be guaranteed on departures so I would not at present recommend this as it very rarely goes."

I wonder if it's a case where they only operate the train if enough passengers are booked. I will email Foxes tonight but thought maybe you had some insight into this.

One of the reasons we wanted to stay at Sable Mountain was the ability to arrive by train (the idea sounded so romantic!) but if the train can't be relied upon, then I would just as soon spend all of our time at a camp by the river.

Appreciate any info you have. Thanks!

Patty Mar 31st, 2005 08:18 AM

Received a reply from Jane Fox yesterday. I've copied it here for anyone who might be interested:

Dear Patty,
It is true that last season we experienced difficulties with operating our train. Some of the issues are still not fully resolved although the train and engine are there waiting to roll. However, we fully expect to resolve all remaining issues with the railway authority before the seaon this year. If you did book to travel on the train and the trip could not run we would in any case arrange to fly you to your camp in Selous, so you would not lose
either way.

Best regards,
Jane Fox

Not exactly the reply I was hoping for but a candid one at least :)

rsnyder Mar 31st, 2005 05:07 PM

Message: Jules, sorry I was not able to get back to you sooner. Thanks for checking with Jane. As covered in the material provided to us prior to our committment it was clear the train might not be running. We are okay with that as the feature did not result in higher price for us. So, we will enjoy ourselves either way (a long train ride to Mikumi or a much shorter road trip.