For Dick

Jul 13th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

For Dick

Dick
While I think of it and knowing you have just returned from Tanzania/Kenya you did talk about tipping in your trip repert but I was wondering just what you would recommend for a tip for guides drivers etc. Obviously this will vary with the satisfaction of service.
Thanks in advance
J
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:17 AM

Jules, based on comments noted in posts on this board and from suggestions by the tour companies we varied our approach. For the driver/guide who we had each day while in the respective country we worked on a $5 per day per person and then adjusted the total up or down depending on the quality of service. For porters I tried to stay with the $1 per employee each time luggage was moved. Then, we left individual tips for select employees who we felt went out of their way to may our stay enjoyable, the person in charge of our tent at Sianna Springs, the waiter who always handled our table at the Crater Sopa lodge, the naturalist who conducted the free walking tour and slide program at Mt Lodge, the naturalist and his staff who did the night game drive also at Sianna Springs, etc. I wrestled with the idea of leaving an overall camp tips. It was easy to think "well, the cost of staying at place "x" should suffice for generating income to each employee". On the otherhand we recognized many behind-the-scene workers don't have opportunity for interaction with guests and thus would not be in line for tips. So based on on comments on this board we left a camp/lodge tip at most. Usually in a mix of local currency and US $ I still would rather do it on a personal basis than throw $10 or 20 in a box on the reception counter.
Dick

Search this Thread