For all you climbers: Eight Summits

Apr 4th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

For all you climbers: Eight Summits

Check out: http://www.eightsummits.com/default2.asp
if you are interested in following Bill Burke's attempt to reach the top of Mt Everest. If he succeed's he will be the oldest American (65 yrs old) to reach the top. He will climb with a sherpa and a team of 3 others.

Since 2002 he has been climbing the highest mountains around the world on every continent.

His daughter was our high school homecoming queen and married one of my brother's buddies. There is also a touching story of about his inspiration...his grandson who is suffering from an undiagnosed ailment.
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

What a way to spend your retirement years!
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:41 AM
countingdown1

Carla,
I'm not a climber, but loved the Discovery Series on Everest and have since read several books on Everest and K2. Thanks for posting the link, I look forward to following along on Bill's attempt.
Teri

Apr 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi Teri,
I probably shouldn't have titled this "for all you climbers" as I am not a climber either, but find it fascinating to follow their expedition.

Bill already had one small set back the other day but is back on track now.
Apr 29th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

http://www.eightsummits.com/evtripreports.asp

A sherpa from one of the other teams tragically fell to his death, this was such awful news.
Apr 29th, 2007, 12:22 PM
schuba

bookmarking.

Apr 29th, 2007, 04:37 PM

I, too, am following Bill's adventures. Very interesting, exciting, and a bit nerve-racking. I worry about him and his group. Excellent that he allows us to follow his climb.
May 21st, 2007, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Bill expected to SUMMIT within the next hour!!!! This is so thrilling.
May 21st, 2007, 01:40 PM
countingdown1

Carla,
I'm still following along and am now checking the site everytime I log on waiting for SUMMIT!
Teri

May 22nd, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

What a LONG night it was...so CLOSE but NO cigar....His last message said he got within 200??? and didn't think he would make it back down the mountain if he went to the top. Still it was amazing to follow his climb. I learned so much. Hopefully he will make it back down which can be the most dangerous part of the climb.

There was a lot of chaos on the mountain yesterday with a female climber being abandoned on the Balcony (which a climber from another team rescued)who is suppose to survive and also another tragic death.

Everest is going to have a record breaking number of summits this year, already over 480. Good luck to all.
May 22nd, 2007, 04:11 PM

I count it as a cigar! Close enough for me. I am so glad he is back at camp 4 and resting. He is a hero!
May 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Elaine, you are 100% correct and I would like to retract that stupid saying as I should have looked up the origin/meaning before I wrote it (sleep deprived).

Bill's adventure has opened up a whole new world to me and he is a true inspiration of what strength and fortitude is all about.

Way to go Bill! =D>

Jun 4th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Check him out on the Today show with Matt Lauer\

http://tinyurl.com/2vb8lp

Jun 4th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Wayne

He's a good looking bloke, not sure the dress is his color and the tiara is a bit over the top!

Think you may have grabbed the wrong URL.
Jun 4th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Now there would be a record: climbing Everest in a dress and tiara

OK, I got saw the clip on msn.com the video section. If this doesn't work you will have to do some searching

http://tinyurl.com/k89bj
Jun 4th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

OMG Wayne! That was a hysterical reply Matt

Let me help you out here....

http://tinyurl.com/2vb8lp

Although, after all of this it's not Bill, but a rather a Canadian man with another incredible story.

Bill actually flies home to LA tonight at 9pm. We sent in his AMAZING camera story to Canon's PR dept. You would think they would at least replace his camera after all of that.

Did you read one of his last reports about how his body was burning 12,000 calories a day at the summit??? Ok...forget Jenny Craig...I am headed for Everest for a month (lose 34 lbs in less than a month)

I have read some really remarkable reports on Everestnews.com (some were pretty disgusting too)

The word is that Bill will be having a welcome home party in a couple weeks to share his story and photos.

He is determined to reach the summit next year. Stay tuned.