Pre-booked accommodation

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-booked accommodation

Have a trip booked to South Africa, leaving the UK on 6th February 2008, have booked a hotel in Cape Town for 4 nights on arrival and then will pre-book a car and drive along the Garden Route as far as Port Elizabeth and allowing 2 weeks to do this, stopping at different places on the return journey back to Cape Town (3 weeks in total). Will we have difficulty in booking accommodation en-route, stopping where ever we choose, or is it sensible to pre-book. Would prefer to stop as and when we want rather than have to get to a certain destination on a certain date.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

Can any Fodorite help with my question, please
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 02:30 AM

wish I could help you.....but I'm one those "Type-A" personalities who has to have everything booked ahead of time!!!!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 04:37 AM

I did the Garden route in January 10 years ago with my wife and 1 kid aged 20 months and we did not fix anything. We rented a car in Cape Town and loved to stop wherever we wanted on the way to Port Elizabeth. We dropped off the car in PE and flew from there to Johannesburg so that we did not have to backtrack to CT.

I am convinced that freedom has no price... except for some time consuming looking for accomodation once you reach your place..... but this is also part of the fun !!

Don't worry too much !! You will not be without lodging !!

fabio
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 04:51 AM

Nothing beats the sense of freedom one experiences when one embarks on a jouney with no particular pre set hard and fast destination and itinerary. Just let the road be ones guide and take one where ones heart desires. Did this previously in the USA, Australia and Scotland. Like to call it "Free Ranging", and it is by far the best way to travel!

Best to ask some experts on SA and CT if this is feasible in that region.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 05:21 AM

Have you checked whether there are any holidays in SA during the time you'll be traveling. If there are, especially school holidays, many accommodations may be booked by locals.

Quite a number of years back I used to like a fluid schedule, without having to be at any given place at a particular time... no more. Last time we did this, we spent our afternoons calling or stopping into hotels, lodges, B&Bs trying to find a place to lay our heads. Though it wasn't SA, I decided then and there, never again regardless the destination.

To each their own!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Many of the towns have places where you can pitch up at a central place(name?) and find accomodations that are available like in Guest houses. Very common feature in SA.But there are so many online accomodation websites, I would go through them and pick out several places that look appealing in advance in each town you intend visiting, while at home. Then when you are on the road, use the cell phone you should have at this point, and call ahead for a room once you are sure you know where you plan on ending up. Many owners will assist you if they are full. Even if you have a change of plans, its still easy to find a place. Just avoid the holidays.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 01:15 AM

Hi there Rosieuk

February is the best time to travel South Africa. There is no school or public holidays in that month and you will be able to find accomodation where ever you choose. Please remember Feb is one of your hottest months so bring your sunscreen along.

Martie
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 01:16 AM

Oops..
Please remember Feb is one of your hottest months so bring your sunscreen along

It must be ours not yours.

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Rosie,

great idea. one factor is how many of you are travelling - if just two, then you should have fewer problems than if your are trying to get family rooms, or multiple rooms.

the other factor is how picky you are. although there are no holidays then the "best accommodation" will probably be booked. also how early you mind starting to look can affect how much you are able to do on a day you are travelling.

if you felt that you might like to book ahead a bit, I strongly recommend the "Hog Hollow" lodge, near Plettnberg Bay. It was really excellent - terrific food, atmosphere and service. it is near the monkey, elphant and bird sanctuaries, and not too far from Knysna.

things we didn't do that we wish we had done were the trip to the featherbed nature reserve at knysna, and the treetops tour at tsitsikamma. We did go whale watching at Plett, but I think you'll be there are the wrong time of year.

we really enjoyed a night in a rondel at the schotia game reserve just north of PE.

where in CPT are you staying?

regards, ann