Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Foot wear on safari? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/foot-wear-on-safari-611508/)

csuss Apr 28th, 2006 06:24 PM

Foot wear on safari?

I've seen alot of postings on what clothes to bring on safari - what about shoes? Teva sandals? Hiking boots? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
carol

daddog Apr 28th, 2006 06:41 PM

Carol............
I think you should think about some very comfy sneakers. What ever you do do not wear any open shoe sandels. There are lots of crawling insects that bites.......

atravelynn Apr 28th, 2006 06:46 PM

I wouldn't wear Teva sandals on the vehicle. Around the tent, even around the camp, or in the shower is fine.

Hiking boots if you are hiking. No need for them if you will always use a vehicle. However if they are comfortable, you could wear them.

Tennis shoes are fine. You can bring an extra pair of laces for whatever footwear you are using.

MisterAviator Apr 28th, 2006 07:02 PM

I've always had great luck with Ecco shoes/boots on safari. Rugged, waterproof, yet extremely comfortable.

http://www2.ecco.com/ss2006/Products/men-casual/

Roccco Apr 28th, 2006 07:08 PM

After two consecutive years with foot problems, I would not recommend open shoes of any kind, at least not for more than a quick dip in the plunge pool!

The best luck I have had has been when I have worn trail running shoes on safari. Usually these offer some waterproof protection, they are great for traction and they are lighter than hiking boots. Plus, if you plan on doing any walking safaris, they are the best.

Personally, I like both New Balance and Asics trail running shoes. Your best bet will be a running store. I was most active on my first two Zambian safaris in 2003 and 2004, but because I was wearing good trail running shoes, I never had any memorable problem with my feet.

santharamhari Apr 28th, 2006 08:13 PM

I agree with Rocco on the trail running shoes......some other options would be Montrail, Brooks Adrenaline trail version, Mizuno trail ascend.

Those heavy hiking boots really dont work for me. Also, chk your shoes every morning before putting them on to ensure that no creepy crawlies got in.

Hari

sandi Apr 29th, 2006 04:46 AM

Not being a closed shoe wearer (no walkers for me)... mocassins are what I wear most times during game drives. I've also worn Tevas during game drives and they're great around camp. So far no biting things.

As to hiking boots - besides being heavy and unless you wear them on your long flights, if packed they are add to the weight of your limited luggage allowances. Soft desert-type boots may work if not hicking or trekking.

Whatever you choose, do not bring new shoes. You have to have something on your feet that are well worn and broken in. No need for blisters while on safari. Also, it's a good idea that these be leather rather than cloth. As if you walk thru mud, it's much easier to throw the leather into the sink to wash... not so easy to get cloth shoes clean.

cooncat3 Apr 29th, 2006 05:24 AM

I have decided on Keens for the game drives and walks, and my Chacos for camp. The Keens are somewhat open on the sides. They have a nice rubber toe bumper. When it gets warm on the drives I can take off my socks. Super comfortable, super light and totally waterproof. Here they are if you are curious: http://www.keenfootwear.com/pdp_page.cfm?productID=19

Not too long to Zambia ...what, 26 days??? :-D :-D

cybor Apr 29th, 2006 05:28 AM

I guess it's all about personal choice and what you'll be doing on safari.

I wore a pair of very thick soled Reef brand leather thong type of sandals, around camp and in the vehicle.

I also brought a pair of light sneaker like and very cushy, hikers from REI for hiking,running thru the airport etc. These had good gripping for fairly rough terrain and soles thick enough to prevent sharp African thorns from penetrating.
Sherry

cybor Apr 29th, 2006 05:31 AM

p.s. nothing bit my feet nor did I find any critters my shoes - sounds like a C+W song title :) .

cybor Apr 29th, 2006 05:42 AM

cooncat - have you worn those shoe yet? I have a very similar pair that I use when kayaking and my feet sweat like crazy b/c of the rubber sole. Also maddening is that dirt and little pebbles etc. get in the side vents and stays trapped. Maybe you'll like them better than me - mine will stay in the back of the closet until I decide that someone else can suffer and have tantrums with them :`( .
Sherry

africnow Apr 29th, 2006 06:41 AM

FWIW I asked the safari operator. He said one pair thick soled shoes and one pair sandals. So I'm taking my Teva sandals (good for the shower too) and my North Face mesh running shoes with very thick soles.

Patty Apr 29th, 2006 07:32 AM

I take a pair of sandals and a pair of closed toe shoes. I wear the sandals around camp and on vehicle game drives. Last trip I brought a pair of lightweight hiking boots because we were doing some walking and horseback riding. Otherwise, I'd just bring sneakers for the closed toe shoe.

matnikstym Apr 29th, 2006 08:33 AM

((@))1, ((@))2, ((@))3 I agree with cybor- with the open sides you will get rocks, stickers and grass seeds stuck to your socks on the walks and it'll be uncomfortable and itchy. find some closed shoes for the walks.
Dennis

cooncat3 Apr 29th, 2006 08:58 AM

Damn - I bought those shoes just for this trip! :-)
I supppose I will take soem running shoes as well or instead of the Keens. Sherry - I wore a different pair of these straight from the box to Paris (in black, of course) and had no trouble. However... Paris is not the bush and the thorns and rocks might be an issue. OK. Thanks for the wake-up call.

Dennis - LOL! Didn't anyone else lose their connection yesterday? Suddenly I had to re-register and I'll be darned if I can remember my password! Hope no one is getting too confused by all the cooncats - however, we are entitled to 9 lives, right?! ;-)

jweis Apr 29th, 2006 09:56 AM

I wear Teva's on game drives.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, go with trail walkers - I use Lowa's and have for many years - VERY comfortable.

Bottom line - whatever is comfortable and already broken in.

James

africnow Apr 29th, 2006 10:09 AM

Yup - I lost my connection to Fodor's yesterday too. Thought it was because I had just cleaned out my cookies...

cybor Apr 29th, 2006 10:44 AM

Bad connections all day yesterday. It seemed to somehow interfere with all my online connections randomly. Forced me to stay off Fodor's and work on my school project as I should have - maybe I will graduate after all :) .

sundowner Apr 29th, 2006 01:51 PM

I take my Chacos for when I can wear sandals and I got this pair of Rocket Dogs last year http://tinyurl.com/jax4h for when I need closed shoes. My kids think these are the ugliest shoes but I don't care. I feel like I'm barefoot they are so comfortable.

csuss Apr 29th, 2006 02:04 PM

Thanks everyone - especially for the part reminding me about breaking them in. I have a gift card at REI so I will check there tomorrow and then wear them every day for walking the dog.

I'm at T-minus 50 days until Tanzania!

Carol