Search

Food in Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 05:47 AM
Karen

Food in Egypt

Mom and I are planning to go to Egypt this winter. I am an adventurous eater and willing to try local cuisine but Mom has some dietary problems and is worried about the food. Is North American type foods available in the major hotels and on the Nile cruise boats? any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 01:10 PM
cb

Yes, non-Egyptian food were available in the hotels and the Nile cruise ship we stayed in. There are also restaurants in the major cities that have American/western/continental cuisine. Travel guides list them.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 04:37 PM
Paula

Definitely DO NOT eat the food in the bazaars. Stick to hotel restaurants especially if youhave dietary problems. Do not eat fresh fruits and vegetables. DO NOT drink the water. Mummy tummy is not a fun thing and can be very debilitating. Consult the hotel doctor if you are stricken.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 08:15 AM
cb

As suggested, take all precautions and also bring immodium, or something similar, with you. All our meals were at the major hotels and cruise ship (all 5 stars) no salads, no fresh fruits , and we still got sick. First was my husband who could have gotten it from the airline food on our way there, then me on the cruise possibly from the delicious cheese cake. A dose of immodium, no food for 24 hrs, and plenty of bottled water got us back to normal.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 04:10 AM
Tony Hughes

I would concur with the previous postings, however: I took immodium, packets of the stuff, as well as the local 'immodium-type' pills which were apparently a lot stronger and I have to say, 10 months after returning from Egypt my insides are still not right. <BR> <BR>I ate the local food but it was all from restaurants either on the cruiseboat, the Hotel in Luxor or the hotel in Cairo, all of them 4/5 star rating. It's a lottery really: some people get illl a little bit, some dont get ill at all and some are really affected in a bad way (me). <BR> <BR>Cairo has McD's/Pizza Hut, the smaller towns dont although you will always find western meals in restaurants. The bigger hotels all serve western type food as do the cruiseboats. The boats will usually serve a local dish along with a couple of western ones for the less adventurous. <BR> <BR>take care

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 07:12 PM
Jodi

I too, agree with previous repliers. I think the thing you have to remember that not everyone touching your food has the same microbial flora on their hands,that your G-I tract is accustomed to. so, even though they assure you the fresh foods are washed in a solution designed to sterilize the foods (ie: on the cruise boat and in the good hotels). <BR>I found that I ate NOTHING that was not well cooked or peeled by me and got along fine with nary a rumbly. It is very tempting to fall into that trap because things look SO appetizing and the people you will be in contact with assure you that the food is fine...remember when you are tempted, you can not see microorganisms! and they are bound to cause you some trouble and there is not enough time in Egypt, anyway, let alone giving up a day with mummy tummy. North American comfort food abounds...don't worry! It will be a magic trip I know for you both. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 01:21 AM
isabella

i tried everything while i was in egypt. i even ate food form the streets. in 40 days, i got 3 diarrhea. but thery were not too bad and were well controlled by pepto bismol. i would suggest u not to take imodium if u know that your diarrhea is cauesd by bacteria. b/c imodium slows down the ovement of your bowel, and if there is bacteria in your bowel, u stop it form getting out is not good. bacteria will produce toxins in your body and will make u worse. imodium can give symptomatice relieve but is not good in a long run. <BR>fruits are fine. many fresh juice availbel from street stores. they are fresh and clean. and are delicious. <BR> <BR>howvere, for your mom, u miust be careful with her!! does she has any specail medical condition??? or she is otherwise healthy???