Food in Egypt

Sep 24th, 2002, 08:59 PM
lois

Food in Egypt

Could somebody tell me usually what kind of meals do they serve in Egypt. Is it spicy or bland and what type of meats are served, also what is the average breakfast. What I am wondering is do they serve cereals etc Hope somebody can give me an answer Thank you Lois

Sep 25th, 2002, 01:41 AM
gail

It depends on where you are staying/eating. If you are with a tour group or staying in a large Westernized hotel, food will be a mix of very recognizable items - often a buffet plus some more traditional Egyptian fare. For example, on our Nile cruise breakfast each AM was a buffet which included whole fruit, a hot cereal, cold cereals, juice, and many pastries and bread - some very recognizable and some more traditional Middle Eastern breads. Tea was excellent, coffee only fair. Also falafels and each AM some type of yogurt or uncured cheese thing.

I am positive that this is not what the average Egyptian eats in the AM - will you be eating on tour/big hotels/cruise or at places catering to locals?

Sep 25th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Karen

I went with a tour group and found the food was okay, but nothing special. The usual bread and cheese and yogurt in the morning. However, to be on the safe side, I didn't really touch the milk products and tried to stay away from raw fruits and veggies as I was told that they are washed with the local water, which I was advised not to drink. However, we all got sick anyway...

Westernized restaurants (there are quite a few, especially in the touristy areas) are pretty safe. (We aimed for MacDonalds whenever we could. Don't be surprised by seeing militia with guns outside - they're there to protect the tourists). Most have pizza, falafels, burgers, etc. Our guide suggested the places to go, as the other restaurants which locals frequent might not be safe for our delicate tummies.

Sep 27th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Patricia

We were with a tour. The food was mostly stuff we were familiar with. Even falafel, which is flat bread with beans (of the type served in Mexican dishes in the U.S.), onions, peppers, tomatoes (I think), and that kind of thing, all mixed together and then scooped up with the bread. Tasted Mexican to me. We had chicken, lamb (did NOT taste musky like lamb in the U.S. It was very good.). Breakfast was always a big buffet spread of things we all know and love. Croissants, eggs cooked to order, baked tomatoes, lots of cucumbers, almost anything you'd want for breakfast. Lots of good breads and great desserts. Nothing like goat or anything!

Search this Thread