Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Here's Lin's 2006 Itinerary-any insight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Lin
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, Wow I thought I was ahead of the game this year to start planning my trip in October, but several of the camps I was interested in are already booked! But I am excited about my next safari (OF COURSE)and I'd love to have anyone's feedback on the camps I've been able to book. This to include, recommended guides, wildlife sightings, pros and cons, ANYTHING! And, will any of you be traveling next June?

Little Kulala, Namibia
Palmwag Rhino Camp, Namibia
Ongava Tented, Namibia
Kwando Lebala Camp, Botswana
Stanley's Camp, Botswana
Kwetsani Camp, Botswana

Thanks!

Old Nov 5th, 2005, 03:45 AM

Etosha is a great park, and while I also stayed at Ongava, my best wildlife viewing was while staying in the park. For a quarter of the price of a night at Ongava, you could add nights at Okakuejo, which is within Etosha, and has an amazing waterhole. The accomodations are not nearly as nice or fancy as Ongava, but the game viewing is 100 times better around Okakuejo. Its also an easy way to drive down your average price per night if you're interested in adding more nights. But you would need to arrange for a rental car to meet you at Okakuejo, which I think you can do, since you would drive yourself in the park.

Namibia is an incredible place.

Michael
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 01:48 PM

Kwetsani is a beautiful camp...one of my favorites! You're fortunate to get in; it was already booked when I was planning my Southern Africa trip for next year. Enjoy it, especially the "loo with the view". When are you going?
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Lin, I will be at Kwetsani June 19th for 3 nights. I booked in July and had to change the order of my camps as some camps were already full. I have heard only goods things about Kwetsani.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Lin
Original Poster

thit_cho, you are not the only person who has made the same recommendation. I am completely convinced that the waterhole at Okakuejo must be fantastic, but I was concerned about the number of people staying there plus the fact that game drives would be more crowded. Any thoughts on that?

ShayTay: thanks for the thumbs-up on Kwetsani! I had been hoping for Tubu Tree so this was my 2nd choice, but it sounds like a great camp.

raelond: I'll miss you by a few days! We get into Kwetsani on 24 June. We will definitely have to compare notes when we get back. Where else are you staying next June?
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 05:08 PM

Lin, after Kwetsani we have 3 nights at Duba Plains, 3 at Duman Tau and 3 at River Club in Zambia. I really wanted to start the trip with some time in Namibia but time and money would not allow this. I feel very lucky to final be able to go to Africa and intend to make the most of my time there. We are staying 5 nights in London on the way home to Canada. One question I did have for anyone out there - as we have 3 nights in Zambia would there be time to do a game drive in Zambia?
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 05:36 PM
DJE

Hi Lin,

I think you will enjoy your time at Little Kulala. On our trip to Africa 2 1/2 years ago we visited this accommodation on a drive back to Sossusvlei Wilderness Camp where we were staying. LK was very new at that time and the units were lovely and the location very nice. If I recall correctly, when the weather is warm you are able to sleep up on the roof area and enjoy the magnificent star gazing.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 11:48 PM
mv

Lin

I think it is a very nice mix.
I stayed at Little Kulala in 2003 and loved it. Very nice rooms that I hardly used since I slept on the rooftop.
I have not stayed at Ongava tented but at Little Ongava. My experience with game viewing was very different to thit cho`s. Excellent Rhino (both black and white) and Lion sightings at Ongava. Night drives not so interesting.
Black Rhino and Lion at the waterhole in front of camp every night. Etosha is not crowded on the game drives but Okakuejo camp was quite full during my visit (we would go there for toilet visits + great viewing of Springbok during the day).
Kwando Lebabla is one of my favorite camps as you may be able to tell from my trip reports. If you are going late June you may be able to see tiny dogs at their den!
Stayed at Stanleys back in 2002 and loved it . The elephant activity is a must. Gameviewing is good and the tents are quite nice although it is a strange layout (all tents are on the same side of the main lounge.
I have not made my plans yet but will probably be at Lebala next June

Michael