Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Fodorites near Ndutu this Feb 08? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/fodorites-near-ndutu-this-feb-08-a-286156/)

climbhighsleeplow Jan 17th, 2008 10:31 AM

Fodorites near Ndutu this Feb 08?

It appears many of us will at or near Ndutu this February?

The good news is the guides report wildebeest babies in the crater but not yet at Ndutu and I will confirm this myself on Tuesday 22nd when I arrive at my camp.

We are all staying at different camps/lodges and will most probably not meet but it is still fun to know who is in the neighborhood!

ClimbHighSleepLow - in&out from January 22 - end of Feb and into March

PredatorBiologist - Last week in Feb

Bill_H - Last week in Feb?

WildlifePainter - Feb 21 or thereabouts?

Anyone else?

PredatorBiologist Jan 17th, 2008 02:00 PM

Thanks for the good news for all of us. Hopefully the calves drop in the second half of the month if we are all very, very lucky.

Bill_H has been the cheetah and lion magnet so hopefully there will be plenty around for all of us!

Good luck to all.

KIBOKO Jan 17th, 2008 03:17 PM

Ndutu March 5 -8

HariS Jan 17th, 2008 06:06 PM

PB,

As you already know - i am very intrigued by Ndutu area and my prediction is that you will see lots of cats there. Eagerly await your updates.

Cheers
Hari

barefootbeach Jan 17th, 2008 06:11 PM

Going to be at Kusini, Feb.5-8th...and Ngorongoro Feb 8-10th...hope we get lucky and some of the animals make it to Kusini, otherwise it's a long game drive, from what I've read.

raelond Jan 17th, 2008 09:14 PM

I will be at Ndutu March 18th.

Maurice_M Jan 18th, 2008 09:01 PM

Ndutu Lodge self drive 16th - 21st Feb 2008

Maurice

jackssid1 Jan 18th, 2008 11:44 PM

Hi Barefootbeach

I have read many of your posts in the past and all the questions you have asked etc.

I commend you on all your research. I hope you have taken in all the info as I do tend to get the impression that Africa is not really for you. I really do hope you enjoy your trip and good luck!

barefootbeach Jan 19th, 2008 03:35 AM

jackssid1:
I had to laugh because I think you've read me well! Despite having traveled to over 50 countries (non in Africa), I was a little apprehensive over this trip from the beginning...just based on the usual inherent dangers (malaria & other diseases, predators, and movie-inspired views of Africa (Hotel Rwanda, Blood Diamonds,The Constant Gardener)...and now civil unrest!
This morning I read the following account from The UK Guardian (from Google Alerts), which does tend to fan the worst fears. But, we're still on and hope we can thank our tour operator for a wonderful trip when it's all over for not letting us change any plans.

On the spot: a lucky escape in Kenya
Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 19/01/2008
Clare Mann and her family have a narrow escape in troubled Kenya.

It was meant to be a sun-drenched, relaxing break. My husband, three children and I arrived in Zanzibar on Boxing Day for a few days before heading to the Rift Valley for a safari. Zanzibar was gorgeous and the hotel was fine. But within 48 hours my daughter, Georgia, became violently ill.

We left on December 30 to take her to hospital in Nairobi. By then, she was confined to a wheelchair and dosed up to ease her vomiting and diarrhoea for a few hours. But this was only the start of our problems.

Although aware of the protests surrounding the Kenya elections, we were advised that it was safe to travel. But we soon realised the seriousness of the situation. The Nairobi hospital was a no-go zone, full of machete and rape victims. So we headed south to Gilgil with a nervous driver, listening to disturbing radio reports as edgy crowds lined the roads.

advertisementMy husband, Edward, was also vomiting by now and Alexander was to follow.

At Gilgil it was announced that Mwai Kibaki had been sworn in as president. Hysterical crowds rocked our vehicle and banged the roof. We were terrified.

When finally we arrived at our destination, we were relocated to a lovely ranch further down the valley. The staff could not have been more helpful and Edward and Alexander were quick to recover. We went on excursions to Naivasha and Nakuru, two market towns in the Rift Valley. In Nakuru, we discovered that massacres had taken place the night before - crowds of men were standing around and the mood was tense.

On the final day, we set off in a clapped-out Range Rover with two African drivers for a day's safari in the Aberdare National Park. I was assured that people would be friendly and that we had plenty of petrol. We had seen on previous days how hard fuel was to come by. On the drive up, our car was stoned and fists shaken at us. But it was on the return that the situation deteriorated.

Despite the assurances, we ran out of petrol in a shanty town. Our car was mobbed outside a backstreet bar where our driver was attempting to buy a small can of very expensive petrol. The crowds were drunk, jeering and demanding money. Georgia had her head bowed as hands pawed at her through the window. They accused us of being American (and then, oddly, Russian) and we feared that our African drivers might run off. We insisted we were English, but our protests fell on deaf ears until someone said the magic words: "David Beckham." A cool-headed Alexander picked up on this: "David Beckham, Manchester United, Chelsea," he said, before listing all the African players he could think of. The tension was broken long enough for our driver to scramble back to the car. He managed to get it into reverse for the first time in three days, and we sped off with people still clinging to the vehicle.

We did not have enough petrol to get us back, so we were taken off-road on a "short cut". It was getting dark as we raced across bumpy, hillside passes. People shouted at us and threw stones but finally we made it back to the ranch.

With some difficulty, we chartered a tiny plane to return to Nairobi, but there was one more surprise in store - as we came into land so too did a private jet carrying US officials, and we had to abort our landing.

I love the country, warts and all, and we met some wonderful Kenyans. But what is happening there is all so sad. It is ironic to see all the schools desperately in need of teachers, when my eldest, Francis, was meant to be going out in April to help teach with a charity. Of course, that is cancelled now.

jackssid1 Jan 19th, 2008 04:03 AM

Hi Barefootbeach

I do not want to say that the people in your posting are lucky but the fact that it did happen and they have not been killed or raped is very lucky under the circumstances!

I actually only found out before I posted earlier that if you clicked on a name all the responses etc get listed. As I say, good luck on your trip. I am sure you will enjoy it and have a fantastic experience. I am sure you will see a lot. Just remember all these Fodors postings (esp 'guests, to shorten cutters long post, tipping managers, Banned from Fodors, Question (2) Guests') and don't worry if you see an insect or mouse etc. Focus on the positive side of the 'African experience'.

climbhighsleeplow Jan 19th, 2008 04:32 AM

Oh boy!

Please do not hijack this innocent little thread! Ndutu is not Kenya. There are other threads for Kenya discussions!

I am just trying to make a list of upcoming visitors to the Ndutu area so we can compare notes about wildebeests and cats and general sightings for future reference!

barefootbeach Jan 19th, 2008 05:24 AM

Sorry!

jayne_wagner Jan 19th, 2008 05:27 AM

Hello,

We will be in Ndutu Jan 28 - Feb 1. Looking forward to comparing notes!

Maurice_M Jan 19th, 2008 07:41 AM

Hi all just received this e-mail from Arusha

""Hi Maurice,

This is why we are here - ask as many questions as you like !

The migration is definately already in the Ndutu area, there have been a couple of small showers but the heavy rains have not as yet started.

The birthing of the Wildebeest and Zebra has started - but the majority wont untill the beginning of February.

I hope that this answers your questions.""

It looks as if awe are going to be lucky afer all :)

Maurice

cumar Jan 19th, 2008 09:11 AM

Yup, 3 of us would be at Ndutu Feb 26-29th.

Hoping to catch the action and get good ops for photography.

Haven't seen any replies or posts from Bill_H in the last few days. He/She seems to be a seasoned campaigner in that area.

May be some of us would bump into each other.

Cheers,
Senthil