flying to johannesburg through madrid

Feb 27th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

flying to johannesburg through madrid

I am planning a trip to Kruger Park Lodge....anyone have anyadvice on the lodge or what to absolutely do there? It seems that the best priced flight will give us either 18 or 30 hours at the Madrid airport. Should I plan on going somewhere for lunch? Or, can I see enough in Madrid in 1 night to stay over, and book a hotel?
Feb 27th, 2006, 02:43 PM

Hello,

You might get more responses on the Europe board, under a title like, '30 hours in Madrid -- what to do?' I've never been to Madrid, but from what I've heard there is plenty to see and do.

It looks like Kruger Park Lodge is situated in Hazyview, a town near one of the main Kruger gates. Will you be hiring a car and self-driving in Kruger?

Cheers,
Julian
Feb 27th, 2006, 10:13 PM

I flew to Joburg through Madrid on Iberia in 2004. I saved $600 per ticket but had a 17 hr layover in Madrid. We landed early in the morning and didn't leave till late at night. After landing, there were lot's of kiosks in the airport with people selling transportation and lodging. We got a room in the middle of old Madrid for about $50.00 and we were within walking distance of a lot of parks and museums. It was nice having a place to rest and take a shower.
Feb 28th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Lin

If you're in Madrid for 30 hours, then absolutely go visit the city center. The Plaza Mayor is beautiful. Surrounding the Plaza are areas of cuevos, or tradional bars in caves, where you can join the locals for sangria and song. If you stay overnight, try to get tickets to a flamenco show. Also of course there is the Prado, one of the best museums in the world. However you should try to get tickets in advance because lines are hours long. I seem to remember you can reserve them online. Madrid is a world-class city and a center for high fashion shopping, if that's what you like. Any decent guidebook will also give you walking itineraries and affordable hostales and pensiones, or very luxurious hotel suggestions. If it were me, I'd at least take a cab (expensive but easy) to the Plaza Mayor, walk around and grab some tapas and sangria (there is a famous place right on the plaza with all sorts of bull-fighting paraphernalia and great tapas, just walk around till you see the bulls' heads).

Search this Thread