Flying to Cairo in November

Oct 12th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Flying to Cairo in November

Sending two employees to Cairo for six days and am curious if anyone has flown Egypt Airlines recently. They have direct flights to Cairo from JFK, but the employees could fly British Airlines instead and spend some time in London between connections. The express train into London means they could actually have hours in the city before departure. Advice appreciated. Then we will let them make the decision.
Oct 13th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Hello Captain1,

The most recent instance that I can find of a Fodorite mentioning travel on EgyptAir is Pani's post that refers to a flight in February 2004:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34480368

On Fodors' Airlines forum there is reference to a passenger having flown on a plane belonging to EgyptAir on which there had been a smoking section. But that had been back in 2000, and another post in that thread, that was dated 2002, suggested that Egypt Air has switched some or all of its flights to non-smoking:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=34382580

Even supposing someone was to answer your query and supply a fresh account of a flight on Egypt Air, I'm puzzled as to what difference it might make to your employees. I'm wondering what your employees would want most -- on time flight, comfort on board, decent food, decent service, luggage that arrives at the same time that they do, an airline that has a good safety record, or one of the many other factors that might influence a person's decision.

If safety is a consideration, I think EgyptAir is still a safe airline overall, and I wouldn't hesitate to fly it, but its record apparently is not as good as British Airlways' record is.

According to this website that tracks airlines' accident rates:

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/rates.htm

British Airways conducts 5.82 million flights a year, its last accident was in 1985, and it has had one fatal event. That website ranks British Airways 9th out of 91 ranked airlines in the world and 2nd out of 24 airlines ranked in the region of its home base (Europe).

EgyptAir conducts 0.81 million flights a year, its last accident was in 2002, it has had 4 fatal events, and the website ranks it 87th out of 91 ranked airlines in the world and 12th out of 12 airlines ranked in the region of its home base (Africa - Middle East).

The website states that an airline accident is such a rare event that it is difficult to arrive at a valid safety rating. Apparently the probability of being killed on any given flight is 8 million to 1. As the website says, "If a passenger boarded a flight at random, once a day, everyday, it would be approximately 22,000 years before he or she would be killed."

What the choice may come down to, from your employees' points of view, is whether or not they've ever seen London and whether or not they've ever seen Cairo. If they've never been to London, they may welcome a few hours there. Since I've been to London but I've never been to Cairo, I would prefer to have those few free hours in Cairo if I were in their shoes.
Oct 13th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Wow. Now thats an answer!

Search this Thread