Flying or Road Transfer into Kruger Private Lodge

Dec 14th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Flying or Road Transfer into Kruger Private Lodge

I am staying in a private lodge in Kruger for 2 days and would like some advise as to which mode of transportation to take into the lodge. The cost is about the same for a charter flight from Johannesburg directing into our camp or flying from Johannesburg to Hoedspruit and then taking a 1 1/2 hour road transfer into the camp.

I would like to know if the road transfer is also a good way to see the terrain in Kruger. Of course, a charter flight also give one a bird's eye view which can be interesting as well. Advise from someone that has done both would be great!
Dec 18th, 2003, 06:47 AM

Sorry, I haven't done both but if the flight gets you there sooner or lets you leave later I would go with that one. If you're only going to be there for two days you want to get in as many game drives as possible.
Dec 18th, 2003, 01:51 PM
sandi

Check-in at the camps is in time for lunch, sometime between 1-2pm. The flight from JNB to HDS gets you to HDS about 12N so you get to camp in time for lunch. You don't go out on your first game drive before 3:30pm. A day is counted from lunch-to-breakfast next day. And the private charter won't schedule you to arrive before the check-in time.

So you're not likely to get there earlier and if you did, your room might not be ready and you certainly won't get an additional drive by arriving earlier.

Private charters are nice, but many people don't like being in a "bullet with 2-wings", they are very small planes and you're limited with luggage weight, only about 12Kg (25-lbs). If you fly into HDS, you can take all your luggage, no limits. Of course, if you are immediately returning to JNB from the camp you can store excess luggage in JNB so it depends on where you're going from this camp.

Search this Thread