Flying Cessnas in Africa-Rocco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have flown rentals in the '80s in Africa and with others a couple times later as co-pilot-navigator. It was more fun prior gps. There is a considerable number of 'tourists' that self fly. I even had the opportunity to fly a microlite over Epupa Falls. I think it was in '98. Made a trade with the Swiss owner of 2 jerry cans of petrol for that.
Strange opportunities pop up. Flew a game count over Mana Pools only because I shared a campfire in the park with one of the volunteers. They needed volunteer pilot. The other one just came down with malaria.

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Robbie,

Thanks for sharing. I would love to do a self-fly safari, possibly combining South Luangwa/North Luangwa/Selous, if such a thing is possible. The distance would not be a problem, just not sure about the border issues.

To be flying myself through my own African safari...wow, THAT is living!
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 10:36 PM

Took my first flying lesson today! It is definitely different to be a student than a passenger and a bit unnerving.

What was really cool was that there was a foursome I met who had rented a plane for the day to fly up to Santa Barbara to enjoy the day. This was from La Verne, about 30 miles east of Los Angeles.

The total cost for the rental, including fuel?

$300 USD! That is a great deal in my opinion. A luxury car rental, which would have taken more than twice the travel time, would not have been much less expensive.

I don't know what we flew in...some Piper piece of **** little plane, but, hey it flew!

For the most part we were not even doing 100 miles per hour. The most surprising part was that there is really no visibility straight ahead but rather only from the side.

It was really fun to fly above the areas that I have spent my whole life around and by straining my neck I was actually able to spot my home, or at least the housing development, from up in the air.

All in all it was a great experience and if I stick with the program I may be certified as a licensed private pilot within a couple months. The thought, however, of going up on my own is beyond scary, but hopefully with a few more lessons I will start to feel more comfortable.

I will say that I was much more at ease with my flying lesson than my first dance lesson, just last night. Three classes in three hours, including two group classes.

Now I just need a good digital photography/wildlife photography class and I will be set! A course schedule of Flying/Dance/Photography...definitely beats Economics/Algebra/Political Science or whatever was my last schedule of classes!

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Fabulous. So keep at it. You build up good habits and your confidence by flying often and on a regular basis. Don't fly 2 hours one week and maybe one hour the next. Most people just talk. You made the 1st step quickly.

By the way, those 'little pieces of sh't planes' have fabulous safety records. 99% of all aviation accidents are pilot error and there are few of those. Driving a car is really scary looking at that perspective.

When are the sailing and scuba diving lessons? Its always a pleasure to work those in when on vacation.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Scuba is definitely in the near future. It would be a shame to go to places like Zanzibar and Australia and not know how to scuba dive.

Sailing...I am not there yet. Maybe in 5 years or so, but who knows, maybe sooner.

The only thing I cannot sell myself on is skiing. I don't like cold weather, I don't like crowds and I don't like the possibility of pulling a Sonny Bono.

My training pilot said that he bought his plane, a Piper Arrow, for only $52,000 and that he goes to Las Vegas, the Bay Area, Catalina Island and other places. It goes about 150mph which is not too bad, I guess.

As far as taking the first step quickly, I never have a problem squeezing the trigger, as I am a very impulsive person and also I don't mind the instant gratification aspect of it either!

I can resist everything except temptation--Oscar Wilde
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 05:37 PM

I had a Piper Arrow for a few years and loved it. One terrific little plane. (I hope you're not training in it!)
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 05:47 PM

my step-mom and her b/f since my dad passed away and who just turned 70 is a pilot and has her own cessna. I will not and have not gone up with her, though she has flown all over the country meeting me when I went to conventions. If anyone as ditzy as her can fly, I guess anyone can! (and I mean that in the most loving terms, she's been my step-mom for 34 years) but dumb as a stump!!
Dennis
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Rocco

Dennis has left you no room for excuses. So we expect that license in a few months. Good luck.

Robbie

A question you need to know to get your licence. Nearly student is asked this question at some time. What makes a plane fly?

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:53 PM

Thanks Dennis...no there is no backing out!

I am not learning in the Piper Arrow...it is a Piper but one of the models with less horsepower...only 160hp, I believe.

After being a couch potato the last couple years, it is just time to get out and start enjoying life, whether dancing, photography, flying and hopefully starting to run again. I am planning my Argentina departure for a couple days following the L.A. Marathon, just as I did for my first visit to Africa in March 2002. Doesn't mean I won't flake out, but at least it gives me a landmark (hehe, already using my flying terminology).

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:22 PM

Rocco- you still coming to Hawaii?
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 08:30 PM

Dennis,

Yes, I am pretty sure that I will still go to Hawaii, although it doesn't look like that free supplier trip will go me.

I dothink that next month is a little too early and I don't want to interrupt dance/flying lessons too early. I am now looking at about December 07th or 08th with 4 or 5 nights. I have decided against inviting my in-laws, as I would prefer to just spend time with Alexsandra in a beautiful hotel rather than in a 2 bedroom condo as I had mentioned to you earlier.

I had hoped to fly out of Orange County, but the dates that Aloha Airlines offers good fares is very limited, so chances are that I will now fly on United or American out of LAX. The 5 hour flight is going to be such a breezethat it will feel little different than transferring between Joburg and Cape Town!

After all this time, I still don't know which island you are on. If you are on the Big Island, I would love to get together and personally swap our Zambia stories.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 05:24 AM

>What makes a plane fly?

Speaking as a pilot and an engineer ... it's magic.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 05:49 AM

Dennis - I seem to have lost my invitation to the Big Island! I've been to Oahu and Kauai, so please resend it!

;-)

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Rocco- i'm on the big island so if you stick to your plan for the hapuna prince or mauna kea, i'd love to drive over for the day (i'm on the hilo side) and discuss zambia! or you could rent a plane and meet me at the hilo airport!
-anytime you want a break from the harsh nebraska winters, feel free to come visit me. (though i will be out of town 10/18-11/4, just a little trip to zambia!)
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Woohooo! You don't realize what you've just done.....I love Hawaii! (And I would never leave Nebraska in October - it's our best month! (That and May/June, when I'll be in Zambia myself.) Oh well....it's a reasonable trade-off! ;-)
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Cooncat
Never got involved in your travel plans b4, so I just noticed that you are from Lincoln. Been there many times-a couple Husker games and Lake Leba in June. Use to kill a lot of brain cells there with friends, but that was a long time ago.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Luangwablondes: Yerkiddin, right? I've killed a few brain cells at Lake Leba myself, but that was back in the late 70s-early 80s! I think I wrecked my friend's dad's station wagon there....drove it into a ditch! ;-) What a small world. Where are you now?
Sharon
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Pickles, Ramy, pig party, golf, An infamous character whose father once sent his son a card with a picture of a very disreputable looking person on it and inside it said something like 'How old do you have to be before you pull your head out of your 'ss", volleyball, no never been.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:21 AM

OK...now you've lost me.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Sharon
Pickles Records
Ramy-from Arkansas-the only person I knew that beat antibuse-must have the nebraska record for DUI's
Lake Leba-what does that spell backwords-the infamous character and his annual pig party- golf, v-ball we played there. Don't want to get into those Gong Show performances-too many pics still exist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -