fly from serengeti to zanibar?

Oct 27th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

fly from serengeti to zanibar?

Is it possible to fly directly from serengeti to zanibar? If so, would anyone have information on how much this would cost one-way? If it's possible, would you recommend this connection? Thanks.
Oct 27th, 2004, 02:04 PM

Yes, it's definitely possible--quite easy, in fact--and I would highly recommend it. Arusha is sort of the gateway for flights to/from all the airstrips in the Northern parks (including Serengeti), and Coastal Aviation, Precisionair and possibly others fly nonstop from Arusha to Zanzibar (about 1.5 hrs).

I can't speak for Precisionair, but I took the Coastal flight just a few weeks ago. It was a very new Cessna Caravan (13 seats). Precisionair flies a much larger ATR 42 on the route (50 seats), if that matters to you, but the Caravan was fine--there aren't any mountain ranges between Arusha and the coast, so it was all smooth flying (unlike Manyara to Arusha, which was a bit of a roller coaster ride across the Rift Valley in a Twin Otter!).

Coastal's flight waits for the arrival of the Regional Air flights from the Serengeti airstrips (Klein's, Grumeti, Seronera, etc.) and Manyara, so it worked quite well for us (we were coming in from Ngorongoro Crater via Manyara airstrip). Again, I'd recommend it, especially if it means avoiding an overnight in Arusha, which doesn't really have much to offer.

Unfortunately I don't know about fares--CC Africa made the arrangements for us as part of a package, so I don't know the breakdown--but you can visit the websites of Regional Air (www.airkenya.com/docs/regair3.htm) and Coastal Aviation (www.coastal.cc) and piece together schedules and fares.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread