Fly fishing in Franschhoek, South Africa

May 21st, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Fly fishing in Franschhoek, South Africa

Can anyone recommend some fly-fishing companies in Franschhoek?

My husband and younger son want to spend a couple of days in the area this December (around Christmas) fishing and doing other outdoor stuff - light hiking, quad bikes, etc.

We found one outfit that looked great (Dewdale??) but it seems their "lease" on the property ends in November and they don't know where they will be after that. I am really trying to get this trip organized in the next few weeks, so I don't want to wait around for them to figure out what is happening!

Also - while I'm asking....is it possible to fly from Cape Town up to Victoria Falls?

Thanks!
May 24th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

can anyone help?????? PLEASE????
May 24th, 2006, 06:00 AM

I don't know about the fly-fishing, but I do think you can fly from Cape Town to Vic Falls. Take a look at Travelocity or Expedia to see who flies there and when. Also look at the Kulula web site to see if they fly there.

Celia
May 24th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Also try asking your question on the Lonely Planet forum.
May 24th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Grcxx3

Unfortunately I have to answer your questions negatively on both accounts.

To my knowledge there are no direct flights from Cape Town to Victoria Falls. One has to travel via Johannesburg.

In terms of flyfishing in the Franschhoek region Dewdale is the only outfit that can handle this type of experience. There is no one else who does this and this is not only according to my knowledge as it was ratified for me today by the Franschhoek Tourist Information bureau.

Sorry about the negative answers but thats the best that I can do.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
May 24th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

selwyn - thanks for the info...

I realized we would have to go thru J'burg to get to Vic Falls. Need to check with hubby on that! Will probably do it...just need to get the rest of the trip organized first.

As for fly-fishing...am at a loss. This is a special trip for my husband and younger son. My son really wants to go fishing and my husband kept thinking the Franschhoek area was the best bet.

We want to base out of Cape Town and older son and I will do the Garden Route while they fish (older son had his special trip last year).

Any thoughts/recommendations on other areas for fishing....someplace reliable and willing to accepts kids (well, a 13 year old) ??

Would really appreciate any help/advice!!!
May 24th, 2006, 10:09 AM

If your husband and son are keen fishermen and if you are going to Vic Falls... why not rather add in some time so that they can go tiger fishing?

Alternatively here are google links for fly-fishing South Africa: http://tinyurl.com/hz6kp
May 24th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Grcxx3,

In my opinion you should forget about fly fishing in Cape Town as I dont believe you will find anyhwere that offers this facility. I want to stress that I could be wrong but as a Capetonian all I can say is I dont know of anywhere as such.

If your son and yourself are going down the Garden Route I suggest that you take you husband and your 13 year old with you and have then stay and enjoy themselves at the Outeniqua Trout Farm

http://www.outeniquatrout.co.za/

While your husband and 13 year old are enjoying the experience on the farm your other son and yourself can then explore the Garden Route before picking the fishermen up before you return to Cape Town or wherever your next destination will be.

Hope this helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

May 24th, 2006, 09:17 PM

There is a place on the Zambezi called Mwandi,meaning is a place of plenty fish.
If you realy want to treat your husband and son let them do some fly fishing for tiger .The lodges normally do transfers from Livingstone by boat.Just google Mwandi and I am sure you will get more info.
May 24th, 2006, 11:58 PM

It sounds as if you have already been in direct contact with Dewdale. But I nevertheless tried to call them yesterday and this morning. And got an answering machine both times. I never left a message, as it seemed most likely you had been given that info "from the horse's mouth".

There is a lot of fly-fishing done in S.A., but mostly (as far as I know) in the Southern Drakensberg (Himeville, etc.), and Mpumalanga Province (Dullstroom, Waterval Boven, etc.). Both of these areas are of course very far from the Cape, although if you were to be visiting the Kruger Park area then the Mpumalanga options would be en-route (by road) from Jo'burg.