Flights options from Chicago to Windhoek

Feb 11th, 2018, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Flights options from Chicago to Windhoek

We will be flying from Chicago to Namibia next September, and I am looking for your help for a best option.
It is very hard for me to fly very long haul flights due to health issues, so need to do stop overs.
1. One option - Chicago - Frankfurt, stop over, and then Frankfurt - Windhoek on Air Namibia. However, I am reading that Air Namibia has only wo large planes, so if anything happens with a plane, we may get delayed, and this would ruin our plans

2. Second Option - Chicago to Qatar, stop over in in Qatar, and then to Windhoek. There are some issues with that as well, as does not seem Qatar flies every day to Windhoek. Also not sure about a stopover in Doha due to current situation. Have anyone done this?

3. Last Option - to fly to Amsterdam, London, Frankfurt or Zurich, stop over, and then to Johannesburg.
However, with this option, it seems we need to spend a night in Johannesburg, and then fly to Windhoek next morning. Where do you spend a night in Johannesburg? Around airport?
Also seems like KLM is flying direct with a stop in Luanda

I would appreciate Fodorite's input on how to do this in the least painful way.

Thank you in advance!
Feb 12th, 2018, 03:23 AM

Your best bet would be a stopover/switch over in Frankfurt, Chicago to Frankfurt in Lufthansa and Air Namibia to Windhoek. That would give you adequate rest up and down. With all other options you are left with 2 stops and longer layovers,which can be very painful.Qatar,Ethiopian Airlines.Emirates, British Airways all fly via JNB
Heard Eurowings flies Cologn/Bonn to Windhoek twice a week.
KLM too would be a good option.
Feb 12th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Yes, sounds like we need to go with Air Namibia.
Feb 13th, 2018, 08:27 AM

Very Good
Feb 17th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

I am looking at the same Code Share Flight between Condor and Air Namibia from Frankfurt to Windhoek operated by Air Namibia.

On the same website (using Ultimate Chase Points to book a flight) - the price for Condor marketed flight is twice is cheap as on Air Namibia.

However, this is the same flight.

What is the catch here?
Feb 17th, 2018, 10:02 PM

Codeshare flight will be cheaper purchased through the partner airline thant when you go independently. Its an airline to its partner understanding. You stand to benefit as you get the same advantages as travelling in our preferred airline. Air miles and all other addons stay. Guess one PNR number too. The rest of the headache if any is theirs. Looks like you stand to gain here. They need loyal customers. Cant afford to lose you.
Feb 18th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, inquest!

I booked on code share on Condor for Air Namibia operated flight, and now wondering if there is any way to get an advanced seat assignment.

Condor site suggest to go to Air Namibia for all luggage rules, seat assignments, etc.

Search this Thread