Search

Gorrilla Trekking

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gorrilla Trekking

Thinking of gorilla trekking in either Uganda or Rwanda. Have some questions about the treks:-

What's the difference between gorilla treks in Uganda and Rwanda? I've read Rwanda is better, would fodorites who have been to both agree?

How strenous are the treks, I don't mind walking, but not on uneven ground and uphill walks. Is there a way to avoid uneven ground/uphill walks on gorilla treks?

I am looking at travel in October which I understand isn't the best time to travel to to region, is it unwise to take a gorilla trek in October?

What tour companies or local tour operators do fodorites recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:02 AM

Well, they are _mountain_ gorillas, so I don't think you can expect flat smooth terrain....
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:17 AM

Well I have read in Rwanda some enterprising porters will fashion a stretcher and several can carry you up the mountain for anywhere from $200-$500 not including tips.

I understand that Rwanda is more flexible about assigning groups and your guides will meet in the morning and match you with a group so it is possible to get assigned to an "easy" group however no paved sidewalks so you will be walking in fields (uneven ground) until you get to the park "wall" and then it just depends on how far the gorilla family is located. Seriously if you don't want to walk uphill you may want to find another activity.
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:28 PM

Viewing conditions in Rwanda are slightly better. Also the group thing Sperr mentions is an advantage of Rwanda.

Check out other parks/activities you might wish to do in either Uganda or Rwanda and those other activities might sway your decision as to which country to visit.

There is not a way to avoid uneven ground or uphill climbs if the gorilla group is in an area that has either. Even easy groups are likely to be up a hill or on uneven ground. You could try the stretcher thing, but definitely have it all set and perhaps prepaid, before leaving home. A stretcher is not common. You could also hire 2 porters to assist you, while you remained on 2 feet for the hike. But you'd still have to walk it yourself with 2 porters.

Oct is ok. Could be rain but probably not much until the next month. It's a rainforest so rain can happen any time.

I don't think it is unwise to do a gorilla trek in Oct. If uneven ground or uphill walking causes a lot of trouble for you, a gorilla visit would be unwise for THOSE reasons, not the month of travel.

I've used Mantana in Uganda; Primate Safaris in Kigali; Volcanoes Safaris in Uganda Rwanda, UK, USA; The Africa Adventure Co in Ft. Lauderdale, FL for gorillas.

Many good companies to choose from. If the stretcher is a must, I'd lead with that question and choose a company that can guarantee it.

I'm still humming Super Freak from your last post.

Good luck RJames.
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful replies. I didn't know that a stretcher was an option, I certainly wouldn't consider. If I feel I'm unable to participate in the hiking involved I'd pass on gorilla trekking. Have looked at some You Tube videos on gorilla trekking. Now I need to read more about the different parks and see if this is something I will pursue.
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

For atravelynn.........

........She's a super freak, super freak. She's super-freaky, yow Super freak, super freak.........

Never thought of Rick James when I signed up. Didn't put much thought into my user name like some fodorites have. Maybe, I should have chosen superfreak as my user name! lol.
Old May 7th, 2013, 05:48 PM

LOL, now that song is stuck in my head!
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:56 AM

Everybody dance now. Femi, in her wellies.

Good luck in your gorilla research, RJames. You may be back with more questions!
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:07 AM

I have travelled to Rwanda several times - the first time was to stay with a friend working for the British Embassy. Through her I met the, then driver for the British ambassador (they could make more money for their families working as tour guides but the embassy was very sad to see him go!). He and his brother now run their own business providing driving tours to all the sights of Rwanda and Uganda. They are both lovely, safe drivers, super-knowledgeable and fun to travel with if you're alone. They have been doing this for years and work for a number of the respected tour operators in the area but booking them direct is much cheaper. Contact Charles Karenzi (he is the ex-driver for the ambassador) on +250 788302289 or [email protected]. I really can't recommend them enough!
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:02 PM

Hi - we did the gorilla trek in Rwanda and I would highly recommend it - the most magical experience of our lives! What I appreciated most was that I could see exactly where my stiff park fee was going - totally reinvested in excellent conservation efforts to protect the gorillas. Check out our website diary page of our African expedition for details - about half way down 12th and 13 th Oct.

http://www.truyenstravel.com/rwanda.htm

Rwanda is the most amazing country too so if you have time explore a bit further afield.
Old May 10th, 2013, 06:20 PM

Lynn: \/ LOL!
Old May 11th, 2013, 04:23 AM

CATRuyens - I checked out your website - amazing trip! At first I wondered why your "stiff park fees" in Rwanda were only $375! Only then did I realize your trip was a few years ago - it's now $750, still totally worth it to protect gorillas and support local economy. Less than 3 months now until my first trip to Rwanda, can't wait
Old May 11th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional replies and the link. CATruyen, your website is an enjoyable read and a wealth of information. Lynn, I'll definitely be back with more questions, thank you for your good wishes.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 02:54 AM

I think Uganda offers a better experience, so many info has been provided i wont add much but personally i do recommend Tamani Africa Tours (www.tamanitours.com, they offer excellent and affordable tours.

Wish you the best
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 01:50 PM

I clearly prefer Bwindi. I went with www.instinctsafaris.com and they offered me to go trekking in Rwanda, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park (Virungas, Ugandan side) and Bwindi. I chose Bwindi and Rwanda. Of the two, I preferred Bwindi because of the cheaper price, the hiking being more demanding and the surrounding lodges, and views of the Virunga massif. All in all, I can only recommend the company and can only recommend Bwindi for gorilla trekking,

Lee
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 11:19 AM

I did it last year in DRC (Virunga National Park) and it was the best. Combined it with Climbing Mount Nyiragongo. Absolutely brilliant. Just check safety recommendations.

Cheers