Flights from U.S. to S.A.

Dec 12th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Flights from U.S. to S.A.

My understanding is that the gateways to fly to South Africa from the U.S. are New York, and Atlanta. We want to go to Cape Town as directly as possible. Is either of these two departure cities better in terms of easiest access to Cape Town. I am assuming South African Airways is the only carrier.
Dec 12th, 2003, 07:45 PM

I could be wrong but I believe the Atlanta flight is direct to Cape Town every other day.
Dec 13th, 2003, 03:06 AM
sandi

thor -

Check the SAA schedule on their site
www.flysaa.com/
click on "schedule" and you'll see which flights go direct to CPT, whether from JFK or ATL. Also note that some flights outbound do have a stop at either Isle de Sol or Dakar, so check that also - though only 1-hr, do consider if you want to get to CPT asap.

Will you also be going via JNB to other parts of SA or areas in Southern Africa (Zim, Zam, Bots) or returning to the States from JNB, as the ticket to CPT should include 1-leg to JNB and vice versa.

So see what the SAA schedule has to offer.

Dec 13th, 2003, 08:51 AM

We were surprised to find that our "direct flight" to Capetown had been changed to include a refueling (as mentioned above) and a stop in J'berg, which added a couple of extra hours. So be sure you find that out! BTW, SAAirlines is fantastic. Good food, great service, we were impressed.

Search this Thread