Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Flight prices to Israel (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/flight-prices-to-israel-914181/)

Klock Dec 6th, 2011 10:03 AM

Flight prices to Israel

Tryiing to book a flight from New York to Israel in late March. Many of the flights coming it at around $1,400 direct. The flight that works best for me is currently $1,505.

Seems crazy.

Am I too early? Too late?

Anyone know if I should expect the prices to drop, or just a steady increase? I just can't imagine the tickts will get any more expensive.

Gardyloo Dec 6th, 2011 10:12 AM

Well, I can see fares around $1060 for departures on e.g. 3/27 (Continental/United nonstop from EWR) so not sure why you're seeing higher numbers. Maybe your return is after Passover? (Busy time ex-Israel.) How long are you staying?

Of course airfares go up as flight date approaches. Supply and demand.

AlexA Dec 6th, 2011 10:19 AM

That's a pretty standard price for non-stop flights, though if you can play around with the dates, you might get something more like $1200. Since Passover starts April 6th in 2012. the last few days of March might have already sold out of any cheaper fares. When are you planning on returning?

Prices will probably stay the same or go up $100-200 or so, though El Al sometimes adds flights based on demand and makes some lower fares available a couple weeks before. You have to decide how flexible you are on dates and how long you can hold out.

I use Kayak to compare fares, using the 3 days + or - option, and sometimes then try the individual airlines sights too (Delta, Continental/United, El Al.)

qwovadis Dec 6th, 2011 11:38 AM

farcompare.com best booking tips

they tend to drop a lot on a Tues afternoon

in mid to late Jan would wait till then.

try for a tues or wednesday flight tend to be cheapest

one stop in eastern europe on the way sometimes saves for me.

kayak.com/buzz cheapoair.com 2 good sites I have luck with.

Happy Huntiing

sandi Dec 6th, 2011 01:18 PM

The fares should be based on 'departure' date, but time of year can be why $1,500 fares. If over/near Passover, they've got you. Gotta keep checking and decide till when you can wait to actually purchase.

Elkaz Dec 6th, 2011 01:39 PM

You do not indicate EXACTLY when you want to go and when you want to return. If you go between March 21 and March 27 and return between April 8 and April 11 ( middle of Passover) you can go round trip for $1090 on El Al. If you stay through Passover and return on April 17-18 it would be $1190 and if you waited and returned after the 20th it would be $1140. I do not know what you are looking at to get your prices. I'm looking at

http://www.elal.co.il/ELAL/English/States/USA/

and these are restricted tickets.

Klock Dec 6th, 2011 07:49 PM

Thanks all. Appreciate your replies. The flight I'm looking for is EWR to TLV on March 27 and returning on april 5. So, yes, Passover is a definite issue. I just didn't expect that even with Passover it could be so expensive.

I see a Delta flight for $1070 from JFK, so maybe I'll go for that. Just a much great hassle considering that the flight is at 9:30 and I'd need to get to the airport during rush hour (20 miles could easily take 2 hours at that time).

sandi Dec 7th, 2011 07:23 AM

Aren't you lucky there are even two international airports from which to choose - EWR & JFK. If it can take 2/hrs to get there, then it takes 2/hrs. Besides, once heading east to JFK traffic isn't near as bad as that heading west into the City.

But ask yourself, if the $100-200 savings flying out of JFK vs EWR is even worth the time and cost of traveling to/from JFK, either having someone drive you (friend/family) or arranging a car service which can further run up your costs. Don't be penny wise/pound foolish. Go with what is most convenient.

AlexA Dec 7th, 2011 10:21 AM

The premium for flights around holidays applies both ways, but especially TO Israel. Also since Passover starts the 6th in the evening, April 5th is too late for many people (and it's probably cheaper than flying on the 4th)
The Delta flight is a bargain for any time of the year. It has rarely been less than 1000 in the past few years, even in the dead of winter

Elkaz Dec 7th, 2011 11:36 AM

The 5th on El Al is the same as the 4th. I am looking right this minute on El Al's website. You can get a Newark to TLv flight and a TLv-Newark flight for $1303. If you return to JFK you can do it for $1190. I do urge you to make a booking on something sooner than later. The less expensive flight are going to fill and you will be paying more and more.