Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Flight from states to egypt - scared (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/flight-from-states-to-egypt-scared-561789/)

countrygirl_va Sep 30th, 2005 09:12 AM

Flight from states to egypt - scared

Ok - I am not the world's best flyer. As a matter of fact, I have only taken two flights in my 30 years of life. Both fine flights BTW. Anyway - I am concerend about the flight to Cairo in December/January. What have you experienced? Has it been easy? Air pockets to a minimum? How long does it take from Virginia? I really want to go but this is standing in my way. Need some encouragement :-)

bobbysue Sep 30th, 2005 10:23 AM

Hi, country girl. I'm in the same boat and am terrified every time I get on a plane, but I am going to Egypt in November. I absolutely hate flying, but I absolutely traveling, so I just suck it up and go on. My doctor has helped with a Xanax prescription.:-D You might want to look into that. I have a few years on you and have done quite a bit of flying, the longest single trip being to China. While it does get easier, the fear hasn't gone away. But the end result, in my opinion, is worth it. I'm not sure how encouraging that is, but that's the way I feel. Where in Virginia do you live? I am in Williamsburg.

bobi Sep 30th, 2005 12:18 PM

I am so glad to hear from someone else that is uneasy about flying. This is my first trip overseas, I'm flying with my sister who has been a world traveler for years so she thinks that I'm over reacting. I live in Alabama, will fly out of Atlanta, to Detroit (using frequent flyer miles), then 7 hours to Paris, a 4 hour lay-over there then 4 hours to Cairo. WHEW! I have a prescription for Xanax also and WILL use it. It has helped me also when I fly in US. Yes, fellow country girl, take a deep breath and go. This is a once in a lifetime thing, go for it, I am going in 3 days. You and bobbysue have a wonderful trip, I am sure going to try! Will let you all know how it went.

bobbysue Sep 30th, 2005 12:28 PM

I don't think we're alone. It seems more and more people are afraid of flying or else just finally admitting it. Sometimes I think if I hear any more "Statistically you're much more likely to get killed in a car blah, blah, blah" I will scream. In my case, Bobi, I have a very short flight, about 45 minutes, to NYC and then non-stop to Cairo--10 1/2 hours. Not looking forward to it at all, but I will not let my fear keep me from living life. So far I have not regretted one flight I've taken. One funny thing about me. The most dangerous part, the landing, is the only part I like. I love that part for some reason and love being at the window and watching the ground get closer. Just as long as it doesn't get closer too fast.:-o

FainaAgain Sep 30th, 2005 12:44 PM

1 out of 3 passengers is a "white knuckles flier" - I've learned this reading the internet class fear-of-flight print-out. I don't have the URL with me, simple Google will bring it up.

I printed the pages, slowly read a little at a time, learned the exercises, keep the pre- and during the flight advices. Helped me a lot!

NancyU Sep 30th, 2005 07:33 PM

I have been flying for the better part of my flight and I hate to fly as well.(as a child the first flight I took...I was crying just walking in that tunnel like section before you actual board the plane. I knew then a love of flying was just not going to happen for me) Anyway...Nothing like a valium and a drink or two to help make the flight go by <g> I have had some fantastic flights and I have had some flights from hell. But to enjoy life you gotta fly so like everyone else I just suck it up and do it. And if you find you need a lot of meds countrygirl....just remember to stick a post it note on your chest that tells the flight crew where you are supposed to get off

Mamamia Sep 30th, 2005 07:47 PM

...Just keep in mind that getting on the freeway/expressway you have 20 times the chance of getting killed than on any commercial flight.

At any given moment there are THOUSANDS of commercial airliner crossing the skies of our world... Yet you hear of an airplane crash once or twice in a YEAR...

So, take a pill, read a good book, watch the movie, talk to your companion, AND ENJOY THE GREAT AIRLINE FOOD...

It's gonna be alright, babe.

PRchick Sep 30th, 2005 10:03 PM

I'm not fond of flying either but I found the overseas trips to be fine. With the movies and music, you can forget where you are. I was also impressed to see the route they take from the states to Egypt. They don't go directly over the ocean but up around the northern land bodies. Someone told me they do they to always be with gliding distance of an airport and they show you on the TV screens where the nearest landing strip is all the time. I wasn't sure about this until I saw a news show about a plane that did have to glide into an island land strip from miles away and no one was hurt. Made me feel better.

gail Oct 1st, 2005 03:00 AM

Sign me up on the "I am afraid to fly but do it anyway" list. While it has been 4 years, we flew EgyptAir NYC-Cairo (a few months after an EgyptAir pilot apparently crashed his plane because of some religious or mental health issue). So if I could survive that flight, I am sure you will do fine on yours.

Our flight was almost 12 hours. After a while I was so bored that I forgot to be scared. Being EgyptAir, alcohol for "medicinal" purposes was not possible. You may want to smuggle your own on board if you think it will be necessary. Our flight had one of those cockpit nose cameras, that was at least a diversion on landing and take-off. They also had one of those maps on the monitors that lets ytou see how many inches you have traveled to your destination.

Egypt is such an incredible destination that I predict you will find the trip worth it. (An a prescription from your MD is never a bad idea - but if s/he prescribes something, try it at home first since you don't want to find it makes you feel worse while you are a few miles up in the air)

wanderlust5 Oct 1st, 2005 08:55 AM

I am not afraid to fly - I have traveled all over the world but I still take a xanax on long flights - not for feat but to help me relax enough to doze a little. I find it difficult to sleep on a plane, even in first class, because there is so much going on - announcements, beverage deliveries, people hopping up and down, children making noise, movies playing...it is like a weird 60's party sometimes on those overnight flights and I keep hearing the song "Momma Told Me Not to Come". :-) Since I find it hard to realx ( I am one of those people who need a deprivation chamber to sleep - no light, no noise!) I wear ear plugs, and eye cover, AND take a xanax, and still only doze in and out. Including the 16.5 hour flight to Shanghai.

One word though: Don't take xanax and drink, though your bottle will have a warning label, thought I would mention it. Also on short flights (anything less than 5 hours) I only will take 1/2 a pill and only if it is a weird time of day. If it is a normal daytime flight I don't take anything as I don't need a nap.

If you are a music person, countrygirl, I would highly recommend taking some music to listen to also, it will help you relax. Take your own MP3 player or something, I do and if I am listening to my favorite music I am not stuck with airplane music and uncomfortable headphones. Another suggestion would be audio books. Those are great, pass the time and your mind will be distracted with a great story.

I am going to Jordan and Egypt Nov 6. I hope your trip turns out well...! Let us know how it goes.

hanl Oct 2nd, 2005 03:53 AM

Hi,
Have a look at www.fearofflyinghelp.com - the website has an excellent free fear of flying course that I found really helpful.

A few years ago I started to develop a real fear of flying (came out of nowhere after 20 years of getting on planes quite happily!) - fortunately I managed to overcome it, largely thanks to the advice on the website. It's written and maintained by an airline pilot who also answers questions posted by anxious fliers on the message board.

I don't have any connection with the site by the way, I just think it's a great resource and worth recommending to others. :)

countrygirl_va Oct 3rd, 2005 07:39 AM

Thank you all! I do not feel alone which is a great feeling. I did hypnotherapy to get me over the fear so I think I my go ahead and get a tune-up. As for the meds - sounds like a plan. I think it is a good thing to have just in case. I am also going to invest in some good headphones, ear plugs, eye mask, & audiobooks. I think that will halp the time "fly" by. I am traveling with some great people so that will help too. Leaving from Dulles International (IAD) on December 22. I will be sure to update you all on the outcome :-)

travel04 Oct 3rd, 2005 11:53 AM

I hate flying - i've come to that conclusion after my most recent flight to europe. While i'm not scared, I get nauseated for some reason....and recently just feel claustrophobic. I've flown quite a bit - take at least two flights every year, if not more, 1 domestic and 1 international. This year I just got back from Europe and I puked twice in the plane(bathroom thank god), and it just seems to be getting worse. Next time I'm going to try taking dramamine for nausea. Imagine when i go to India in December, it's almost a 24 hour flight - but like an earlier post said, i love to see places, so just suck it up and go. I take plenty of books to keep me occupied, lots of chewing gum to help with nausea(didn't work this time at all)....definitely need dramamine next time!

NancyU Oct 4th, 2005 06:06 PM

believe it or not..if you take a few drops of some lavender essential oil and put it on a handkerchief and smell it occasionally during the flight it will help fight off the nerves.