Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Olakira and Sayari camps - what do you think?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, I and our 11 year old daughter will be visiting these camps next July (end of) on a private safari for 1 night and 3 nights respectively. I'd welcome any thoughts or comments about them, particularly in relation to making the most of photographic opportunities (with digital SLR/video) AND what's the story on amount of mosquitoes there at that time of year!!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 04:36 AM

I posted some pics of Sayari on my personal pages - including a pic of a triple tent! You can also see the locations of these camps on the map! www.go-safari.com and follow the Tanzania and Serengeti links.

The most surprising thing of the Mara River in the northern Serengeti is the amount of hippos - hundreds! It is very remote so you will have great photo ops especially if you catch the migration.

Mosquitos are not a problem at either location but its always best to wear long sleaves/pants at night with some repellant.

Are you on a game or full-board package?
Eben
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:55 PM

Climbhigh,

How would you rate the other seasonal camps in this area in terms of quality of the accommodations? I figure Nomad's is tops by reputation, but how do EMC and Olakira/Sayari figure in the rankings?
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 01:45 PM

Oh my!

Lifelist, can I plead the fifth on this very interesting question?

I am just stoked that we now have these excellent choices and I am not qualified to compare them!

While we can discuss the merits of the nice "soft" feel of Sayari vs. the traditional bush style of the smaller Nomad and the well-located EMC, I cannot ignore the quality/experience of Nomad guides and the great respect I have for Willy (owner of EMC).

Maybe some decision patterns will emerge after another year once more people have stayed at the new Sayari, Olakira and EMC.

Eben
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 01:52 PM

I didn't think South Africans said "stoked"!

Disappointed you're taking the 5th, Eben. But of course we all have different priorities and preferences when it comes to where we lay our heads on safari. Since they all sound like good operations I guess some of us will just have to try them all. Quite a project.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 01:58 PM

Eben,
Are you still updating your Serengeti map? I can't seem to find Lobo Wildlife lodge or Grumeti? Great site BTW. These maps are much needed!

Leely,
Do you think I can get other Fodorites to donate funds if I volunteer for the project?
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:03 PM
bat

Patty:
Manxie liz can report on Sayari and Olakira, Leely and I will cover Nomad--that means you MUST stay at EMC so that we can cover them all.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:08 PM

Actually, if you check my main Safari questions thread, you'll discover that I've added the EMC camps to my trip in 2006. So, I think we're covered.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:22 PM

I picked up the "stoked" from the X-games shows I watch on TV here! I still windsurf every now and then so it comes in handy on the water!

Patty, the lodges/camps are all on the map but it is best to view with Google Earth so you can zoom and/or deselect some clutter!

Lobo Wildlife and the public camp next door are close to each other so they overlay almost. Same with Grumeti and its airstrip!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:44 PM

Eben,
I see it now, just didn't zoom in far enough.

bat & lifelist,
We're still in need of one person to stay at all of them to give a thorough comparison
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:48 PM

I'm pretty sure csuss is including Sayari, too. Sorry, Patty. Maybe you can work on the non-Greystoke Mahale options? And please do also check on A Tent With A View in Saadani. Unfortunately, I won't be able to help fund your research. At least not this year.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:24 PM
bat

Sorry lifelist, did not mean to slight you--glad to have you covering EMC. Remind me when you are traveling.

OK, Patty you are right--each of us will have only one component of the whole. We need someone with the big picture.

Leely--I love your "tent with a view"--that sums up what I desire.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:51 AM

We are booking 4 nights at Sayari in the last few days of June 2006. Can't wait, but would love to see some reports before then.

I am going to check out Eben's website right now. I am so happy to hear about the hippos - I love them.