Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   fist timers, honeymoon May 2006 (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/fist-timers-honeymoon-may-2006-a-544781/)

ahomannyc Jul 17th, 2005 11:07 AM

fist timers, honeymoon May 2006

We're first-timers considering a Tanzania honeymoon in early May 2006...are we crazy? Travel agent assures us the rainy season isn't necessarily so bad, but would love to hear from the well-seasoned travelers. Would postponing until 3rd wk in May make any difference? We are in the very early planning stages. Probably 9-10 days. We're interested in animals, people, and music...have considered an itenerary that gives us a couple days at the beach in Mozambique at the end, is that worth it, or should we do all safari? Any thoughts appreciated.

sandi Jul 17th, 2005 01:11 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Africa is a wonderful choice for honeymoon and more and more couples are choosing this destination.

Though you may not be crazy, know that May is the "long" rains and while no one can predict from year-to-year just how much rain and when, it is likely to disappoint as to your safari experience regardless the fact that prices are lower in April & May.

We recently returned from safari, the first 5-days of which were at the end of May and it was wet. While we didn't have problems with muddy roads, we could easily see really bad spots along the way - being pulled out would not have been pleasant. Also the animal herds were a bit confused with the wet and we had to travel a long distance to locate them.

I would suggest you actually wait till the beginning of June, though the prices go up, not as much so as of July 1. And a honeymoon doesn't have to be taken immediately after the wedding. If your schedule is flexible, I'd hold out for June.

As to Mozambique - how do you plan to get there from Tanzania? And where in Tanzania were you specifically interested? The northern circuit - Arusha, Tarangire, Lk. Manyara, Ngorongoro, the Serengeti
OR
the southern circuit - Selous, Ruaha, Mikumi? The latter are actually closed until June.

If you want a beach holiday after safari, Zanzibar is much easier to reach with a wide array of hotel choices.

Roccco Jul 17th, 2005 06:17 PM

ahomannyc,

Congratulatons on your engagement and upcoming honeymoon. :)

For late May, you would be much better off with either South Africa, Botswana, Zambia or Zimbabwe. These would each combine nicely with Mozambique. As Sandi said, for a beach experience in East Africa, the place to go is Zanzibar.

One place I think would be awesome for the beach portion of the honeymoon is Kaya Mawa in Malawi. Although Malawi is a landlocked country, Lake Malawi is huge and you would think it is an ocean. There are even tropical fish to see while snorkeling or diving.

Here is a link:

http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/ca...mp;method=menu

The weather should be perfect in early May...warm during the day and perhaps in the low 60's at night.

Kaya Mawa would combine perfectly with South Luangwa National Park which would also be very nice in May, right at the end of their green season, offering great weather and preferential rates. For a honeymoon, Luangwa River Lodge would be perfect...have a look:

http://www.luangwariverlodge.com/PDF/Luangwa%20R.pdf

I would say that the following itinerary would be really nice:

Joburg (1)
Fly Joburg to Lilongwe. 1 hour? light air transfer from Lilongwe to Kaya Mawa.
Kaya Mawa (4) Return to Lilongwe. 45 minute light air transfer to Mfuwe (South Luangwa National Park)
Luangwa River Lodge (5)
Return light air transfer to Lilongwe, return to Joburg in time for evening departure home or one more night in Joburg.

While there are other areas in South Luangwa, the area that Luangwa River Lodge is located is in a very strong gameviewing part of the park. In May, many of the other camps, especially north of Luangwa River Lodge, will not have fully dried out from the rains yet, and there will not be too many roads available for your gamedrives. For that reason, and the fact that Luangwa River Lodge would be my own choice for a honeymoon, I am endorsing Luangwa River Lodge.

Luangwa River Lodge is a very reasonable $250 per person per night sharing in May for the first three nights, but for any additional nights it drops to $200 pppns, so a five night stay would only be $1,150 pp and this is all inclusive, including your road transfers from/to Mfuwe Airport.

If you would like my recommended tour operators for Zambia & Malawi, feel free to e-mail me and I will give you a couple excellent leads that will offer the very best pricing.

Congratulations again and good luck! :)

daviesg Jul 18th, 2005 08:10 AM

I'd agree with Roccco and suggest Zambia - we went in mid May last year and had 5 days at Chiawa Camp on the Lower Zambezi which is the best lodge I've ever stayed in (food, guides, wildlife, range of activities). They have a honeymoon suite as well. Have a look at www.chiawa.com - Sausage Tree camp is also along the same stretch of river and has the same reviews. Canoeing on the Zambezi is something special.
We then spent 4 nights at Nkwali in the Luangwa which was very different from the Zambezi - we saw wild dog and plenty of other wildlife. You can also visit a local village that the camp 'sponsors'.
Then 3 nights at Tongabezi at Victoria Falls - ideal for microlighting or helicopter rides over the falls. Its as good as the beach to relax by the Zambezi with a sundowner.
I don't mean to put down Tanzania - I love it too but September \ October would be better for safaris and beach.
Wherever you end up, have a great honeymoon.

ahomannyc Jul 21st, 2005 01:30 PM

thank you everyone for your suggestions...i'll do some more research and come up with something more appropriate for that time of year. cheers!