First trip to Tanzania

Dec 13th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

First trip to Tanzania

My husband and I are traveling to Tanzania for the first time. We are very excited, but I am the worrier planner of the family.

I know to take cotton clothing, travel lite, wear a hat, bring bug spray all the basics.

What I want to know is "has anyone ever gotten sick"?

We have a good travel agent that has planned our trip and I was pleased to read that we are staying in some great mobile camps and one lodge.

Another question I have is:

What are the items to buy that are indiginous to the area? I have heard the Massi are great beaders. Are there beads to buy. I read in tour books about gold, tanzanite, etc. But not about weaving and beading.

We have had every vaccination and will be taking our anti-malarial medicine so is there really a need to worry?

Dec 13th, 2007, 07:58 AM

Your malaria meds can have significant side effects, so read the information you receive with them. My sister and another traveler became quite nauseated from Malarone. I rarely have any gastric problems while traveling, but it's always a possibility, so taking something like Cipro along is a good idea. The safari lodges and camps are careful in their preparation of food, but sometimes you can have problems just because it's different than what your systems are used to. My Tanzanian guide said that he once visited the USA and got sick from the water!
Dec 16th, 2007, 11:04 AM

If you are with a tour, You should have no problems. Just be careful with the water (tooth brushing is the hardest to remember)and be sure the bottle is sealed before opening. Take some meds for nausea and diarrhea as these are the most comon problems, however we had no trouble. We so take Pepto Bismol every day and I am not sureit helps but we have never been sick. We followed thisin China, Thialand and Cambodia so it is well tested.
Dec 16th, 2007, 11:21 AM

No, you don't need to worry. Just apply your sunscreen liberally.

Here is a thread on getting sick.
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=35093415

You will be able to buy beaded items many places--bracelets and necklaces and much more elaborate pieces. I am not a shopper, but I have been told that if you see something you really like, buy it. Don't wait to find it for less later because you may not find it at all.

Have a super trip and please report back.
Dec 16th, 2007, 09:33 PM

My doc also recommended taking pepto as a sort of prophy while in Africa. Also gave me a script for Cipro and, of course, the Malarone.

Not sure how things have changed in over a decade, but when I was in Mombasa in 1993, I bought my (then) mother-in-law a 2/3k tanzanite for US$65. Also bought a very nice sapphire 3/4k for very cheap. I don't remember if the total purchase was $175 or if I paid $175 for the sapphire. At any rate, they were both very good prices. FWIW, both were loose stones. Not sure how buying them in a setting would have changed the price, and like I said, it's been 14 years.
Dec 16th, 2007, 10:09 PM

Hellow, welcome to Tanzania! You do not need to worry, take the necessary malaria medications and you can ask your travellagent to apply for a flying doctor's membership for the period you will be in Africa.

Expect to enjoy if all your arrangements are done in advance.

Best regards