Rabies Vaccine for Safari in Kenya

Old Jan 19th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rabies Vaccine for Safari in Kenya

We are finalizing our plans for our Kenya safari and are in the process of getting our innoccuations for the trip. Has anyone gotten the rabies vaccine prior to your trip? I think this is overkill but perhaps I am wrong.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 04:19 PM

Not for a regular safari. If you are spelunking or volunteering in a remote village that is known to have stray feral dogs, then I'd get it.

I have gotten a rabies shot for other travel when I believed the risk dictated it, but never for a safari to Africa.

Have a good trip.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 04:24 PM

Even if you are sharing a vehicle, generally speaking (and excepting a situation where you are sharing with five photographers fighting for four window seats, of course) disputes over seating don't escalate as far as biting, so you should be fine without.

;-)
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 04:32 PM

I agree with Lynn and Kimburu - the rabies vaccine is not necessary for a "typical" Kenyan safari. My DH and I did have the rabies shots for our trip to Tanzania and Kenya in August 2009, but we were self-driving and camping in rather isolated locations, so our travel clinic recommended it. If in doubt, consult a travel clinic for a professional opinion. Robin
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 04:33 PM

Seriously, Lynn's right of course. Just stay clear of the feral dogs - and that is easy to do on safari.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 05:15 PM

I just heard about two honeymoon couples where the husbands almost got into fistacuffs and there were some f-words exchanged. I forget what started the tiff.

But this is very, very rare and not meant to add another concern to Sylviam's upcoming trip.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - it is the travel clinic that recommended it which I don't understand. The CDC in the US keeps talking about bats, etc, and that children tend to get bit from animals, but other than the villages, any animal that would bite us on safari would present far greater problems in my estimation.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:12 AM

I support the NOT NECESSARY advise.

".... it is the travel clinic that recommended it ..."

I have read here once a Travel Clinic advised on taking water to Africa

I guess some/much personnel at TC have never left their homeland and advise just based on "reading" strange stuff ;-)

Definitely - if you don't go on extensive walks, visit rural areas where steet dogs roam etc. - forget about the vaccine.

Happy Travels!

SV
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:25 AM

Two additional pieces of information that should factor into your decision (but of course you should confirm any internet advice with your own doctor):
1) my understanding is that even if you do have a rabies vaccination, you still need to get medical treatment if you get bitten. The only benefit is that it buys you some time, so if you are too remote to get to medical care it is more relevant.
2) my travel doc warned me that in addition to the obvious (avoid stray dogs), I should also avoid chimpanzees.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:56 AM

We got the rabies vaccine when going to work out in Sierra Leone. The reason that the organisation we were working for insisted we get vaccinated was that we were so far from any reliable medical care. As ann_nyc says, the vaccine only buys you a little more time if you get bitten by an infected animal. You still would need to get the rabies vaccine treatment within 24 hours of being bitten to prevent the disease taking hold. The preventative vaccine is given in 3 injections over 3 weeks. Overkill? Maybe. Who can tell? Have been on safari a few times but I confess it did not occur to me to get vaccinated for those trips.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 11:36 AM

For a regular safari, it really isn't necessary. If you do stay at a lodge or camp where they even have a dog (the owners or oe of the staff and kept leashed especially at night... it is a pet and well cared for as one would at home. You're unlikely to come in contact with bats, but this is possible... still wouldn't worry about this.

And, as SV mentions above as have others over time, many of the reps even at Travel Clinics have never left their office and only go by what "can possibily" happen when in-country.

But do not forget your malaria meds, and inoculations for travelers regardless the destination as:
Tetanus (food for 10yrs),
Hep-A (now good for 20/yrs) and
Polio Booster (good for life).

Happy travels.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. I didn't think we needed it especially for the type of travel we will be doing.