first timer on safari and solo traveler

Aug 20th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

first timer on safari and solo traveler

I was hoping to get advice on going to Africa on Safari. I will be traveling alone. Looking to travel in October or November. I am also an amateur photgrapher. I dont need to stay in 5 star hotels either. Not sure of the best location for those months of the year.
Aug 20th, 2004, 02:10 PM
sandi

mariapxcm - Africa is a big continent. Where were you thinking to take your safari? Some choices are East Africa (Kenya or Tanzania) or Southern Africa (South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Namibia). Do you want to travel solely on your own or with a small group of other travelers? In the southern hemisphere you'll be in the Spring time and by November can be quite warm. In the eastern countries, weather is relatively mild (practically year-round), with cool nights.

So if you'd give us an idea of the area you'd like to visit, whether completely solo, or with a group and your budget, we can come up with some suggestions.

Aug 20th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

well my choice would probably tanzania/kenya but not sure if this is a good time of the year to visit. I would love to travel with a group my budget would be around. I have enough miles to get to africa so my budget would be up to 4k but can be flexible I also have flexibility with the vaction length. I guess what I am looking for is good experience more than enaything else. I would love to be able to have the time to take great pictures. Thanks Sandi
Aug 21st, 2004, 01:45 AM

Hi,I am also going to Africa this coming Octotber, but I have a specific itinerary, I am going to S.Africa,and maybe Mozambique and Botswana. One good source for accomodation and places to eat is of course Fodors and Lonely planet.

Enjoy
Aug 21st, 2004, 05:23 AM
sandi

mariapxcm - October would be the better of the two months, as November is the "short" rains season. Meaning occasional showers in the afternoon or overnight. Not enough to inhibit your safari, and nice when you consider that the rain settles the dust on the roads and there is no humidity afterwards. We've always travel in November and in all our trips have never had more than 3-showers in totals. But to be safe, you might be better with October.

You don't mention which country you would be traveling from, but there is a company in the States that receives favorable reviews with excellent prices. The only issue is that they have set itineraries, departing on certain days, though if you wished something else they may design something to your liking for an additional fee. But their group itineraries are well designed and you get value for your money.

and check out their longer itineraries which is probably a combination Kenya/Tanzania.

If you want to work with a company in-country, either Kenya or Tanzania, I suggest:

www.roysafaris.com

though primarily a Tanzania operator can coordinate an itinerary including Kenya. You can check their site for sample itineraries and accommodations, then email to them what you would like to do and they'll get back to your with a price. Most of Roy's safaries are independent rather then group, which might work better for you if you want to spend more time photographing. Not that other travelers don't take lots of photos, but if you have special things you wish, it might be easier traveling independently. Your guide/driver will take good care of you and you will be perfectly safe. As to other people, you'll have the opportunity when you meet at night at your lodgings. Expect a single supplement added to your price for independent travel.

Check the above two companies for their offerings and prices and if you have questions, bring them back here.

Aug 21st, 2004, 10:22 AM

Mariapxcm:

You are in for the trip of a lifetime.
Since you have air miles to use for your flight, your Kenyan/Tanzanian part should be easy. I just returned last night from my sixth Kenyan safari. I too travel alone and have always felt perfectly safe except in the cities of Nairobi or Mombasa where I stay close to my hotel.

I always deal directly with Torben Rune at Southern Cross Safaris.com. He can set up whatever type plan you are looking for. My previous trips have all been about 18 days in Kenya and usually run about $3,000.00 - $3,500.

This does not include alcohol, sodas, bottled water, tips.

October would be the best month to go. November you might run into the start of the short rains. The only problem going during the rainy season is that often the animals disperse from the parks and you will not see as much.

Feel free to email me directly [email protected] if you have any questions I can answer.

Jan
Aug 21st, 2004, 10:37 AM

Hello Maria,glad your going over there.I too travel alone. I have 3 people bay sitting me while in KENYA.
With my own LAND-ROVER and tent ect ect. If you don't mind that kind of thing. This is the way to go. I am using eco-resorts for a 3rd time.
In 18days! After my visit to SO.TANZ. Which eco-resorts set up.
Anyway, I myself take hunderds & hunderds of pics. OF EVERYTHING!!!!!
If you want some input of info. mail me at:
[email protected]
Not a good idea to rack your brain on so many tour ops and ideas. It will drive you insane. Check with my tour op and Jan's tour op. Go from there ok.
Good luck, David
ps, OCT!!!!!
Aug 21st, 2004, 10:39 AM

Sorry, I hit post instead of edit.
I meant I have 3 people babysitting me.
Cheers, David
Aug 21st, 2004, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Wow thanks so much for all the postings. I will look into all your suggestions and will let you know how I do

Search this Thread