First time travellers to EGYPT

May 15th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Tina

First time travellers to EGYPT

PS - any must see sights to visit in cairo/luxor/sharm??

May 15th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Patricia

Cairo--I'd say the Cairo Museum (mummies and King Tut display), Mohammed Ali Mosque, Khan el Khalili (this is the big bazaar--But I heard stay away from it on Fridays because of political posturing and protesting outside the mosque at it's entrance on that day). I would NOT recommend the sound and light show at the pyramids at night. We found it hokey and boring. Better if you could sit there with no show and just look at the pyramids against the night sky with stars and moon as your lights. But I can't speak for you. You may enjoy it.

Luxor--definitely Valley of the Kings and Queens, also Luxor and Kharnak temples.
Try to get into Nefertari's tomb--about $30 and only 150 tickets a day sold. No cameras and you're allowed in for 10 minutes only. But it's beautifully preserved. We found it worth it. You have to get your tickets early in the day because of the limit.

Haven't been to Sharm.

We loved Egypt. The vendors are annoying, but it's all part of being there.

May 15th, 2002, 08:27 AM
cb

Sharm is known for diving and for those who don't (like me), there are glass-bottom boat trips to see beautiful corals and fish. There is also the colored canyon. Take a trip to St Catherine and hike up Mt Moses in time to reach the summit at sunrise.
We visited other towns along the coast whose name I cant recall and which I don't consider must-sees; one was known as a hippie hangout back in that era, another town had (wild) dolphins you can swim with.

Search this Thread