First time to Egypt - logistics questions

Feb 12th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

First time to Egypt - logistics questions

I am visiting Egypt for the first time in about 3 weeks. I have some questions for the group:

1) I understand that I can get my visa when I arrive at the Cairo airport. Do I need to have some passport photos for the immigration people? (If it makes a difference, I'm a US citizen. I will be on holiday, and I'm meeting up with a tour group after I arrive).
2) I will be taking some internal Egypt Air flights. My tour information says that there are luggage weight restrictions. How strict are the Egypt Air people? Will they just weigh the checked luggage, or will they weigh my carry-ons also?

Thanks very much!
Feb 12th, 2006, 05:29 PM

My info is 4 years old (the disclaimer)

No photos were needed. Our tour group included "transfers" to hotel. What happened was a guy met us holding a sign with our names. He took passports, visa fee (US cash only) and disappeared behind a door. After about 10 minutes, he reappeared, ushered us thru a separate immigration/customs line and turned us over to a maniac driver in a mini-van to terrorize us with his driving (although seemingly normal for Cairo) to our hotel. All went smoothly.

I do not know what internal weight requirements are on EgyptAir, but I can tell you that we had, for some reason that I can not explain, horribly heavy suitcases - unliftable by humans. No problems (until flight from JFK to Boston).
Feb 13th, 2006, 02:33 AM

I am an expatriate living in Cairo, have taken many internal flights and never once seen them weigh anyone's baggage. Of course, there could be a first time, and most airlines are cracking down due to increased fuel costs. Your Egypt Air ticket should tell you what the official allowance is, but personally if you are within reason, I would not loose any sleep over it.
Feb 13th, 2006, 07:11 PM

No, you won't need any extra photos for customs. They get you through pretty quickly.

Search this Thread