First time to Egypt

Jun 8th, 2000, 05:14 AM
Tom

First time to Egypt

Would the air fare be cheaper to go through a European airport to get to Egypt? Also, for a first time visit, do you recommend a tour group, or is it cheaper to get and stay in hotels on your own, as well as see the sites on your own?

Jun 9th, 2000, 02:51 AM
Tom

Tom,

We were on an upper ended package through Gate 1 that cost us $2900 for air, hotel, cruise, sightseeing etc. We stayed at what were considered some of the best hotels and had a cruise ship ( the only one we saw) that had balconies for each cabin. It included atrip to Abu Simbal. Our group size was 10 (they allowed no more than 15) so we got to do more faster and rode in smaller more comfortable vehicles there.
There is a lot of ground to cover that would require a mature traveller who may need to spend time and baksheesh (tips) to do this right. Safety is also a factor. Our Egyptologist told us that there are several bargain trips out of London for Egypt and was quoting prices of about $450 pp. I cannot say how they differed in value but after seeing downtown Cairo and some of the hotels whose names I spotted in brochures, I am glad we stayed where we did.
Special things like our Egyptologist acquiring tickets for us to Nefertari's tomb (considered the best in Egypt) where only 100-150 people are allowed a day, sleeping in the Agatha Christie's King Farouk bed at the Old Cataract, Eisenhour's room at the Mena, really makes the trip more memorable.
I tried to cut prices before I booked this but after talking there with people on bare bones or self done trips I learned many ended up spending more than me and saw/got less.
I travel a lot internationally for work and do some sight seeing on my own during some of those trips, but this is one I am definitely glad I did through an organized package.
Please mail me if you would like any other info.

Jun 9th, 2000, 03:08 PM
Tom

Thank you so much for the information. My partner and I are going to try to go probably next fall. Looks like an organized tour is the thing to do. I wanted to see if you knew anything about the hotels we need to pick from. The options for first class in Cairo are the Shepard or the Swissotel Heliopolis, and at Luxor, the choises are the New Winter Palace or the Sonesta St. George. Any recommedations. So was it worth the trip to Egypt? We the people as friendly as I have read. Currently reading Lonely Planets "Egypt" to acquaint me with things. Seems to be pretty good. Couldn't find Fodors Egypt guide, but will keep looking. I went to Chichen Itza last year, and Cancun. Feel its only natural to want to see the "real" pyramids? Have you even been there? Once again, thanks for the info! I appreciatd it alot. Take care, Tom

Search this Thread