First time Kenya Safari

Feb 9th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

First time Kenya Safari

Booking ten day safari for late August early September in Kenya for two adults and two teens. Looked at many operaters but down to Sentrek or Good Earth. Any experience of these two?

Some say drive between camps some say fly???

Any advice would be apreciated
Feb 9th, 2007, 05:40 AM
sandi

Post the itineraries presented, then we can comment and/or suggest. Without knowing where you're visiting, can't advise whether you should drive or fly.

Feb 9th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi,

It looks like this: (Six day Safari with extra days optional)
Day one Niarobi to Samburu. Spend two days there. Day three depart for Lake Nakaru 1 day then on to Maasie Mara for two full days. Then back to Niarobi for flight home.

Or: Samburu one day, mountain Lodge one day, Lake Nakaru, Maassai Mara two days.

Thanks Bernard
Feb 9th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Bernard:

I prefer first itinerary over second. Reason: spend more days in Samburu.

I would strongly suggest adding a night in the Mara. You really need three nights there to settle in and enjoy. I would also add an extra night in the Samburu if you could.

GE is well regarded. However, I would also check prices with African Serendipity, Southern Cross and Eastern and Southern. Best prices when we were shopping for our trip in August. (You may want to look at my trip report).

Best wishes,

Kevin

Feb 9th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Do you mean Suntrek? If so, there was at least one review a while ago, but I haven't seen anything recently. Do a search for Suntrek and you should pull up previous posts. Suntrek was one of the companies I initially contacted. Their prices were very good, but I found them not so responsive and they emailed itineraries back that weren't exactly what I asked for.

I believe Good Earth uses Safariline as their ground operator in Kenya. Do a search for the name of that operator or check the East Africa index thread http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34860283
Believe all of the reviews were favorable.

Both itineraries will involve long drives. The first one with back to back long drives (Samburu-Nakuru, Nakuru-Mara) will be particularly hard. Each of the drives in the first itinerary will be around 6 hours.

You say you have 10 days, but the first itinerary is only 6 and second looks like it might be 5(?) days. You could do a similar itinerary over 10 days and slow way down which would be much more comfortable (if you decide to stick with driving). And even if you end up driving (which I actually like), a flight from the Mara back to Nairobi is a nice option to consider at the end of your safari.
Feb 9th, 2007, 01:05 PM
sandi

Where's the 10/days? All I see is lots of time on the roads and not much time at a particular park/reserve. You're then on the road again. The balance of which is being offered as "options?" Best to ask for and get what you want in a sensible way.

Example -
Day 1 - Arv.NBO - o/n
Day 2 - Morning visit Sheldrick Ellee Orphanage; lunch; drive to Mt. Kenya - o/n Serena Mountain Lodge
Day 3 - Drive to Samburu - o/n
Day 4 - Samburu - o/n
Day 5 - Drive to Sweetwater's - o/n
Day 6 - Drive to Lk. Nakuru - o/n
Day 7 - Drive to Masai Mara - o/n
Day 8 - Masai Mara - o/n
Day 9 - Masai Mara - o/n
Day 10 - Fly to Nairobi; half-day touring (Karen Blixen Museum, Giraffe Center, or shopping), day-room; transfer to airport for homebound flight.

Don't know your budget, but don't be attracted by a low price (probably offering general-type accommodations w/o choice of lodge or camps) then to have the "options" pump up the prices.

The above is a good basic itinerary, that covers all the same places, with more sensible timing, few 1/nighters, which are mainly to avoid long drives, but providing more game viewing. Best of all, in August/September, you get to spend time (2-1/2 days) in the Mara where the migration is taking place. Rather than high-tailing out of there with only 1/full day.

If others have suggestions, suggest away.