First Safari - possible itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please see below for possible itinerary. Any suggestions. If I were to cut back so more affordable, looking at cutting out Zanzibar or cutting our Ngorongoro. Any ideas are welcome.
thanks!
Kamolly

Mara & Tanzania
Day 1 Arrive Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Meet upon arrival and transfer to Ole Sereni (about 15 mins. from the airport) overnight (B&B basis)

Day 2 Transfer from Ole Sereni to Wilson Airport (about 20 mins.) for regularly scheduled flight to Masai Mara. Meet upon arrival in camp vehicle (shared basis), (vehicles have three rows of seats, so usually no more than tw or four other people) afternoon game drive/activity, overnight Saruni Mara (B/L/D)

Day 3 Full day Saruni, camp activity shared basis, overnight Saruni Mara (B/L/D)

Day 4 Full day Saruni, camp activity shared basis, overnight Saruni Mara (B/L/D)

Day 5 Transfer to airstrip in the Mara for flight to Wilson Airport (Wilson Airport is a small, satellite airport about 15 mins. from NBO) connect with flight to Kilimanjaro International Airport . (Kilimanjaro International Airport is about 45 minutes outside Arusha) Meet upon arrival and transfer to African Tulip, overnight (HB basis = dinner and breakfast)

Day 6 Depart Arusha for Tarangire National Park, late morning and afternoon game drives, overnight River Camp (B/L/D)

Day 7 Full day Tarangire, morning and afternoon game drives, overnight River Camp (B/L/D)

Day 8 Depart Tarangire for Ngorongoro Crater, afternoon game drive on Crater floor, overnight Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge (B/L/D)

Day 9 Morning game drive on Crater floor, afternoon guided walk, overnight Ngorongoro Sopa (B/L/D)

Day 10 After breakfast, depart Ngorongoro and transfer to Arusha Airport for afternoon flight to Zanzibar. Meet upon arrival and transfer to Shooting Star, overnight (B&B basis, sea view cottage)

Day 11 Leisure, overnight Shooting Star (B&B basis)

Day 12 Leisure, overnight Shooting Star (B&B basis)

Day 13 Morning at leisure, afternoon transfer to Zanzibar Airport for flight to Dar Es Salaam International Airport. Upon arrival DAR, end of services. So fly to Amsterdam or London from Dar Es Salaam? Then to Seattle
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 06:53 AM

You don't indicate when traveling? Month/year?

Otherwise, above is well planned. I see no need for changes to routing or accommodations.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 07:10 AM

Well, cutting back Zanzibar won't save you much money, and cutting out the Crater, means cutting out one of the purposes of going.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 07:37 AM

No way you should cut out Ngorongoro, Zanzibar maybe, you can find beaches anywhere but not the Crater!
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for your replies. I am talking 2013, September. All of your opinions on Zanzibar and Ngorongoro reflect what I was thinking and have heard elsewhere.

Could I again ask your advice on some possible minor changes.
looking at staying at Giraffe Manor (vs Ole Sereni) first nite in Nairobi. Worth it? I remember seeing this on Tv years ago. looks so cool.

Looking at staying at Mara Serena Safari Lodge vs Saruni in Mara. Access,view and private drives.

Looking at staying at Maramboi Tented Camp vs Tarangire River Camp.

Any opinions on these changes?

thanks, Kamolly
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 11:49 AM

Giraffe Manor is very expensive, certainly higher than if at Ole Sereni. And, by the time you arrive, you have enough time to shower and go to sleep. Next morning, you have just enough time for breakfast and then be on your way to Wilson for flight to the Mara.

In the Mara, the Serena Lodge is just that a lodge with about 65 rooms, and while well sited on a hill inside the Reserve and from where, if lucky, might see a river crossing without even leaving the lodge. Still it's a lodge and game drives will most definitely be in full vehicles with max 6/paxs.

Saruni, on the otherhand is located on the Mara North Conservancy, just north of the Reserve itself, with 6/large canvas cottages with great views into the Mara. Here you can do bush walks, enjoy bush meals and even night game drives, none of which can be done if at the Serena. Also, it's rare that there will be more than 4/pax max in vehicle for game drives and nicer vehicles.

Granted the drive from Saruni into the Reserve will be a bit longer than if staying at the Serena, but here you will find less crowds and vehicles, yet plenty of game.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 12:25 PM

Sandi has done a nice job commenting on the other possible changes, so I'll comment on the 1 remaining....

Both the River Camp and Maramboi are outside the Tarangire park gate, within easy reach. When I stayed at the River Camp in 2008 I was a bit disappointed; I thought the tents were looking their age. However, it is a very nice camp with a lovely venue overlooking the river. It often has wildlife strolling through. Lots of dik dik around. Maramboi is really nice, with distant views of Lake Manyara. It has lots of palm trees rather than the baobabs at the River Camp. Food and service are better by a margin at Maramboi in my opinion, but the River Camp has awesome pumpkin soup. I think you'd be happy with either choice.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 04:42 PM

Ole Sereni is overpriced from what I've read. You might consider a different Nairobi hotel, such as the Fairview Hotel. I've stayed at River Camp, but not since the change in ownership. Maramboi is a great camp, but a bit farther from the entrance to Tarangire than River Camp. We walked with the Maasai guides from Maramboi towards Lake Manyara and took spear-chucking lessons from them. Calo, soups anywhere in Africa are great!
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:49 PM

The itinerary lookls good but for the facilities you are using Saruni is misplaced here..its a smaller and more expensive/luxury facility than the other facilities and..you dont combine it with River camp,sopa and shooting star...probably in its place you can put a more modest camp/lodge
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 03:51 AM

True, the accommodation facilities are expensive. Try Sarova Mara game camp which is also a very good tented camp.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 06:43 AM

i like to go kenya and tazania tour 14 days after july 15 there any vegetarian tour company
in east africa