Search

First safari - in a month!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First safari - in a month!

I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted here for compiling such great information in one place. Within the last month, I planned and booked a "last minute" trip for my sister and myself, and this site was so helpful! I just got the travel documents in the mail on Friday (we booked through Premier Tours), and I can't wait - we leave in a month. Our itinerary is:

5 nights in Cape Town (Table Bay)
3 nights in Sabi Sands (Exeter Leadwood Lodge)
1 night in Johannesburg (Mondior Concorde)
3 nights at Victoria Falls (Zambia side), with a daytrip to Chobe (Zambezi Sun)

I will certainly do a trip report when we get back, but if anyone has any advice for a safari newbie, I'd love to hear it!
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:34 AM

I am going to Exeter Leadwood in about a month also. What dates will you be there?
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

We're at Leadwood Sept. 1-4. Have you stayed there before? It looks great and my TA recommended it quite highly.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:54 AM

What a shame, I am arriving the day after you leave. I have not been there before, but someone I know who works at Lion Sands Reserve recommended it highly. From what I have read, it is excellent.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 05:19 PM

You asked for advice - when you are at the Zambezi Sun, they have a travel office there for daily excursions. I highly recommend the 4x4 water boat over the sundowner ship. The 4x4 holds 12 people and can get much closer to the animals. They don't go fast. Will never forget the sight of eles swimming. We saw crocs, hippo and more. We also had three nights, next door at the Royal Livingstone, their sister hotel. Have a great time!
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Clematis1, thanks very much for the advice. We've actually already booked excursions at Vic Falls, including the sundowner boat. Darn! I think our Chobe excursion does include a river trip on a smaller boat, though. I am hoping the Zambezi Sun is ok - I really wanted to stay at the Royal Livingston but as I'm paying for both my sister and myself things were getting a little expensive!

mytmoss, too bad we'll miss you at Leadwood!
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 02:51 PM

If you want to switch the boat, it may well be possible. I would ask my TA now. And if you can't, you'll enjoy that one too. That boat is huge and it's more about drinking and chatting with people as you look over the side. The 4x4 is more about getting close to the animals. Either one will be fun.

I'm sure you'll be fine at the Sun - it is right there. And you'll be out having fun most of the time since you are there at the end of your trip.