First Safari!

Jul 16th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

First Safari!

This has got to be the best site I've found yet! I'm planning my first safari, with husband and 12 year old son, for next year. So far, we are looking at South Africa (staying at Sabi Sands - Djuma Bush Lodge) for 3 nights, then onto Vicoria Falls (Ilala Lodge) for 2 nights, then to Impalila Island Lodge in Namibia for antoher 2 nights(close to borders of Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe, then three nights at Makalolo Camp in Hwnage NP in Zimbabwe.
Besides Djuma Bush Lodge and Ilala Lodge, which I've seen mentioned here before (both received positive reviews)I've seen nothing on Impalila Lodge or Makalolo Camp.
Impalila Lodge was suggested because it offers fishing - which my husband wants, and because it is away from the Chobe crowds, but close to the Chobe river.
Makalolo Camp seems nice, with great wildlife, but it being in Zimbabwe is kinda concerning. Any comments on any of these palces?
Jul 16th, 2005, 04:03 PM

hi bahama,
i visited makololo plains in january and had a fantastic time. if you search my posts u can find a full trip report of there and mombo. we never once felt unsafe in zimbabwe. obviously all you hear about is how terrible things are there now but the people are extremely nice and makololo is far away from any problem areas (ie major cities Harare). and bc its owned by wilderness safaris they have extra fuel etc which can be a problem at other places. we saw no difference in service between the wilderness camps in botswana or zimbabwe. food, guides tents all top notch. and the pan in front of makololo lodge is fantastic. i think we saw something like 22 different species from the lodge alone during our 3 day stay.
Jul 16th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bigcountry! Your trip report and pictures were a great help! I can't wait to get there now..... the year can't go fast enough!

Search this Thread