First and only visit to Nambia, I need some advise

Aug 24th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

First and only visit to Nambia, I need some advise

I would like to visit Sossusvlei in Namibia. I am looking at a package from Windhoek to Sossusvlei and back to Windhoek. Unfortunately, the package doesn't go go Swapkomund. I know that there isn't much in Windhoek, am I missing anything if I do not visit Swapkomund? Any tips for visisting Nmaibia would be appreciated. Thanks.
Aug 24th, 2004, 01:38 PM

I visited Sossosvlei and didn't visit Swakopmund, but it depends on your personal interests.

The highlight in Namibia for me was Etosha National Park, and if you are at all interested in a safari, you should consider Etosha.
Aug 24th, 2004, 07:05 PM

Hi,
the top 3 "must sees" in Namibia are generally considered to be:
Etosha National Park
Sossusvlei
Skeleton Coast

You really should see Etosha...it is unique, and there are a variety of options and accomodations available. It is a national park (vehicles must stay on the road) but because all the animals MUST use the waterholes, you are assured of good gameviewing and photographs.

Sossusvlei is extraordinary, and sounds like you are planning that.

Skeleton Coast is amazing, but difficult to get to, and expensive (because there is only 1 Wilderness Safaris camp in the park, and there are some other fly-in mobile camp options, also expensive. Minimum time for a trip is 4 days/3nights, but 5days/4 nights is better.

Swakopmund is a nice little town on the coast, and their are alot of activities/ sports to enjoy there, BUT it is not a "must-see" kind of place. (I skipped it on my trip so I could do Etosha and Skeleton Coast, so I just saw it when our charter flight flew over then stopped at the airport for a while). Nice if you have the extra time but nothing to worry about missing if you can't do it...
Aug 24th, 2004, 11:03 PM

Hi, I'm American but live in Namibia and personally I think it would be a pity to miss Swakop, especially if you're German. The area of Swakopmund/Walvis Bay is surrounded by desert & huge sand dunes and then all of a sudden you have this very charming colonial German town in the middle of it next to the sea. There is a lot of beautiful German architecture, German bakeries, restaurants and of course many german speaking people. It is really a unique little town. Not to mention it has the best shopping in the country if you're looking for nice (not kitsch) souvenirs.

The area of Swakop/Long Beach is know for adventure tours & sports such as dolphin & seal tours, quad biking in the dunes, 4x4 trips into the desert, parachuting, fishing (at sea and from the beach), you can do some beautiful scenic flights from Swakop (ie up/down the Skeleton Coast, to Kolmanskop, Sossusvlei, etc), hot air balloon rides, beach buggy rides...the list is really quite long.

If you're traveling on your own and on a budget but would like to go with a group, I suggest you contact Crazy Kudu Safaris or Wild Dog Safaris.

Search this Thread