Have you felt safe in Egypt?

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you felt safe in Egypt?

My wife and I have found what appears to be a wonderful trip, put together by Overseas Adventure Travel, to Egypt. We're just a little concerned about traveling to that region now. Folks who have recently been there - do I have reason to be concerned?

Thanx
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:24 PM

As someone who has tripped all through Upper and Lower Egypt by herself, including climbing Mt. Sinai in the middle of the night, in a far more unstable period than now, I can say with clearly that there are few places that you will be feel more safe than Egypt. You will find the Egyptians to be funny, helpful and quite friendly-really lovely people, I think. Don't believe what you read in the papers about all the anti-American sentiment, either, that's directed against the policies of the USG, not People will always be helpful and friendly-this is the way Egyptians are-they're genuinely interested in talking to you, rather than always trying to get yowhere there had been a warning issued by a now-defunct terrorist group that they were going to "get" Americans-Spygirl hopped on a local bus, and tripped 10 hours out through the desert to the Gulf of Aquaba.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:46 PM

Oops! I accidently hit the "post" button in the middle of typing the previous post. What I was attempting to say is that you shouldn't believe all that you may read about the anti-American sentiment on the part of Egyptians-that is for the most part, directed against the policies of the USG, not individual travelers. I personally, had a blast in Khan al Khahili bazaar, talking and laughing and bargaining with the merchants, everyone was so gracious and hospitable, I simply could not have enjoyed myself more or felt more safe-traveling by yourself in the third world, your senses become sharpened to potential problems or danger around you. I remember thinking how rare it was to feel so safe in a country as I did in Egypt. There's virtually no crime there- no theft problem, no one hassled me on the street, (of course I didn't go around wearing shorts in the city either as I saw some European women doing!) I clearly remember one time trying in vain to cross a street of whizzing traffic near the Nile Hilton and two soldiers who saw my predicament actually went out and stopped traffic just so I could cross safely. It's little things like this that leave a positive impression with you about a country and its people, and I encountered other instances of that type throughout my 3 week sojourn in the country-nowhere did I encounter anyone or anything that gave me cause for concern.

As for seeing the wonders of Egypt, well that would be no choice at all for me. I was rendered speechless when I first laid eyes on the Sphinx-the Discovery Channel programs of Egypt and the Pyramids cannot replace experiencing the wonder of the antiquities firsthand. When you go there, you'll wonder how you ever could have doubted it was the right choice to make.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:22 AM
sandi

I couldn't say it any better then Spygirl. Egypt was an amazing experience, from the sights, sounds and smells to the warm and welcoming people. As we traveled independently, though with guides on individual days, and with a few other small groups on our Nile Cruise, we never had the feeling of being unsafe, even those times we went off on our own.

The Khan Khalili Bazaar particularly, as Spygirl mentioned, was a fun experience and the opportunity to be with the Egyptians who conduct their business here.

Overseas Adventure Travel does a very good tour to Egypt and are very aware of their participants' concerns for safety. You'll be perfectly fine.

Concern is good, but like anywhere else these days, travelers have to be aware of their surroundings, and in Egypt you'll find your surroundings are safe. Go and enjoy the experience, and return here and tell us your tales.

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:54 AM

Go and you will have a wonderful vacation.The naysayers have never been there and don't have a clue.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:30 PM

I, to have been looking at Overseas Adventure Travel. I just booked a tour for March, and excitment rules!

I am a woman traveling alone and have been hearing the same thing the others have said.That is as safe as anywhere can be.They guard their tourist industry well. Egypt's economy is very dependent on the tourist money and can't afford anything bad to happen, to stop the people from coming.

I went to South Africa last year and kept hearing the same things. "It is Crime ridden; your could be killed, are you nuts", Ect. Well I went anyway and it was wonderful, the people are great, and I never felt unsafe at all.

As long as common sense is used I am such all will be fine. Maybe I will see you there.