Finding worldwide destinations

Apr 25th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Brett

Finding worldwide destinations

My wife and I are in the early stages of planning a round-the-world trip next
year. We are at the point of listing the ideal stops. Once we have that in
place, we can figure out what time of year to go. At this point we are
expecting the trip to be 2 - 3 months.

Given the fact that the Fodors readers are of some of the most well-traveled folks on the planet, I hoped you could help us out. Please make some suggestions about the greatest places you have visited. We
are athletic, in our young thirties and looking for both adventure and well as
cultural destinations.

Thank you very much in advance,

Brett Cooper
Salt Lake City, UT

Apr 25th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Penelope

Among the nations that are my favorite destinations are: Switzerland, France, Tanzania (especially Tarangire), Zimbabwe (Zambesi River), South Africa, India (Varanasi), Nepal(Pokhara), Burma(Bagan, Inle Lake, Mandalay), and Thailand (Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai). India, in my opinion, is the most fascinating place on earth, but very stressful to most Westerners. Two unique destinations are eastern Congo(Virunga National Park)/Rwanda to see the gorillas and Tanjung National Park on Borneo (Kalimantan) to see the orangatans and proboscus monkeys. Kyoto, Nagasaki, and other places on the Japanese island of Kyushu are good bets, too. P

Apr 26th, 2001, 03:23 AM
x

2-3months around the world is not that long. Make sure you wont'spend too much time traveling from one place to another.
What are your interests?
What time of the year?
In Africa I wouldn't miss Egypt and one country (make sure you won't find yourselfe there in the rainny season)where you could experience safari.

Apr 26th, 2001, 06:03 AM
Pam

Brett,

A good idea might be to look at some tour companies like Abercrombie and Kent itineraries. Look at these itineraries and determine which places look good to you based on your likes and interests. (I am not suggesting that you use the tour company, but use the itineraries to see what’s possible. Abercrombie and Kent, Travcoa, and other luxury travel companies tend to have good itineraries set-up) You may want to stay at the Old Cataract Hotel in Aswan, Egypt for romantic reasons, maybe you want to spend some time in Tuscany, possibly you want to inner tube through the crystal caves in New Zealand, maybe you want to do an elephant safari to find tigers in India.

Once you have determined where you would like to go, map it all out. Decide how long you might like to spend in each location and then determine if you have enough time to do all you want to do. Adjust your schedule/itinerary from there.

I have several friends who have done this type of vacation, and have spent months, maybe even years planning it. So take a little time, do a ton of research, and plan the perfect trip for YOU!

Pam

Search this Thread