Search

Just returned from Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 07:01 PM
gail

Just returned from Egypt

After faithfully reading all Egypt posts for months, we just returned from our 10 day tour. Some answers to frequently asked questions. Bring cash (small bills), travelers checks, Egyptian pounds. Forget ATMs - the ones we saw were broken. Egypt was a wonderful but overwhelming country - I can not imagine having seen as much as we did if we had gone independently - we think a tour is the way to go. It was hot as hell. Luxor was 105F. (mid-April). The 4 day cruise was wonderful but 4 days was enough. The boat actually sailed only 2 days, docked to rest - Aswan to Luxor is not that far. You must go to Abu Simbel, even if it takes more time and money. Of the 34 people on our tour, about 1/2 experienced some minor-mod stomach/intestinal upset. Our group of 4 did not. We were annoying careful - no ice, no raw veggies, only fruit was oranges and bananas, no salad, no dairy. Sounds like overkill, but it worked. No mosquitos seen. Lots of flies. Vendors are annoying, but manageable - just say no firmly. Bargain/negotiate on everything to 50-60% of first price. Clothing - loose cotton. For women, capri length or loose long pants best. Some wore shorts, but I felt more comfortable somewhat more covered. Egypt Air is a fine airline, although the food is even worse than regular airline food. It was simple to get visas at Cairo on arrival with US passport. We have now been traveling for 22 hours, so I am going to sleep. Any more questions - post and I will try to answer.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 11:23 AM
Anita

Gail, <BR> <BR>Which tour group did you use? What hotels did you stay in? I'm trying to plan a trip for either October or November when it is not as hot there. <BR> <BR>Looking foward to your response and rest up.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 02:49 PM
Prue

Gail, thank you for your report, I have been looking forward to hearing how your trip went. I would also like to know which hotel you stayed at in Cairo? <BR>Also since you had success in not succumbing to any mummy's tummy problems, what did you eat mostly - I had not thought of having to avoid dairy as well as all the other more obvious things.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 07:50 PM
gail

In Cairo stayed at Mena House for 2 nights - incredible pyramid view. Rooms slightly "tired" but that added to charm. Clean, good service and food. On final night stayed at Sheraton El G. - rooms modern, spacious, but there was something a little too sterile about the hotel. Balconies with Nile view were great when I had insomnia and could watch Cairo and the Nile at 3 AM - the city really never sleeps. As far as food, ate limited and boring diet of cooked meat (lamb, chicken), lots of bread, rice, etc. Some cooked veggies. Bananas and oranges, peeled.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Alice

I would also like to know what tour company you used for your visit to Egypt. I'm collecting possibilities for either this fall or next fall. Thank you.